How can we Improve?

Sangemdoko

Staff member
Hello Everyone,

As you all know we are working hard on making an inventory system that is extremely flexible and modular such that any one can use it to make any type of game that requires item management. With the years the system has become very big with a lot of features, which makes it a bit intimidating for new users.

Recently we received some complaints that the system was too complicated and the documentation/tutorials were not helping enough. Following this feedback we would like to improve the documentation to make things easier to pickup and get started quickly.

We would love to get your suggestions on how to improve the user experience for new users.

gxchris

Can you consider providing a tiered product/feature offering and target users with different levels of expertise and skills? For beginners, the current system is overwhelmingly complicated. As an entry-level user, I need code examples to show how to call APIs (even don't know where to find them). Here is a good example of doing API documentation well. https://inventory-pro-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Even item category and definition can be designed simpler and I literally spent hours watching your videos and figuring out the right way to do it as a first-time user. You can also revisit your video tutorials and they contain repetitive content but didn't address my pain points... Sigh... I feel I am on the verge of uninstalling this tool now... I have been struggling with it for a couple of weeks. I feel I can implement a simpler one from scratch myself with the same amount of time... anyway, still appreciate the efforts you put in to run this forum and improve this tool.

Last edited:

Sangemdoko

Staff member
Thank you, your honest feedback is much appriciated.
I will review the documentation and make a plan on how I could re-organize and improve API examples. Instead of giving long examples I'll try to break it down in smaller chunks.

You also said that the video tutorials didn't address your main pain points. Could you expand on that. What were the things that were painful to understand/get working?

You say that item categories and definitions can be designed simpler, what do you mean by that. Do you mean we should explain better the attribute system? Or give more examples on how to nest categories and definitions?
Was this documentation page not helpful enough? Or did you miss it, in which case we would need to make it more visible somehow:

Again I want to reiterate that we really appriciate your feedback. Our goal is to make the best Inventory system that can be used in any kind of game. And part of making it the best is to make it easier to understand and less frustrating to use when getting started.

Shanmukh

Please make more videos on it. for explaining each concept with different use cases. or make a video playlist on how do you make the demo scene from scratch. it will avoid all the confusion and give a better understanding.

Sangemdoko

Staff member
Making video tutorials is very time consuming. But it is true that some videos could be improved or put up to date.
We will be releasing a UIS version 1.2 in the not to far future. I will plan to make new video tutorials at that time to include the new features.

desukarhu

Honestly I think UIS is what it is. It's an extremely extensible system that you can use to create any sort of inventory you want. In my opinion it is as easy to use as it can be.
There are other inventory systems that are simpler and easier to use, but they just do one type of inventory that can't be extended. I think most hobbyists who use this system and find it too complicated would be better of using those other systems. But I understand this is not what you would want. ;)

Perhaps multiple different simple demos (ones that are just database and UI, no gameplay) that show all the different ways the system can be utilized? Like a basic list inventory demo, a drag & drop grid inventory demo, diablo type shape grid demo etc. Then people who can't be bothered to learn the system can just use those demos to create their project.
Personally I like it more when assets have multiple demos scenes that show one feature/use case per scene in a more detailed fashion instead of the current huge scene that's almost a small game like UIS has.

Sangemdoko

Staff member
Noted, I'll see if I can add a few new additional minimalist demo scenes focused on a very specific use case/feature, for the next update.

nathanj

I'd be curious to know what the percentage of users of UIS use Opsive character controllers as well. I actually think that the Adventure Kit is exactly what is needed to demonstrate real world uses.

The Deathmatch kit is such a good example of how to use Behaviour Designed and UCC, many of the 'lessons' to be learned from that kit are available elesewhere but until you actually see it put into action you don't realize the significance.

So I guess what I'm saying is just more examples of different use cases. Honestly, videos are ok but to really learn something, I find, you need to just study a working example.