Hotbar Setup

Hi there,

Just finished upgrading to 1.1 (it was kind of amusing how deleting the opsive folder destroyed my project (and crashed Unity), but after a bit more careful extraction, I got it upgraded and mostly working. I'm currently working on setting up the hotbar. It took me quite a while to get the "Assign" item action to show up in the item action menu in the inventory. What ended up working was assigning a Unique Name of "Item Hotbar" to both my Item Action Panel as well as to the Display Panel for my Item Hotbar Panel. I'm pretty sure this is not the correct way to do it, but it at least got "Assign" to show up in the menu.

My problem is that "Assign" is grayed out when I click on an item in the inventory. Maybe it has something to do with the above setup? Here are a bunch of screenshots of my setup; sorry this is a bit vague, but hopefully you can point me in the right direction. Other item actions are working just fine.

Sorry it took a while to get things back and running, I'm sure it will be worth it though.

I'm assuming you had a warning/error in your console?

If an Item Action does not appear in the action options panel that usually means the item category does not match the category set on the action set.

The way the Assign action finds the item hotbar is by searching it's panel by name. Each panel name must be unique such that the Panel Manager can find panels by name. By default it searches for a panel called "Item Hotbar"
1606725013722.png
So your first screen shot is correct. The second one with the action panel should NOT be named "Item Hotbar"

The assign action can be grayed out for a few reasons:
1) The panel Manager was not found
2) The Panel Manager did not find any panels matching the hotbar panel name specified in the field
3) The hotbar panel is not bound to a hotbar item view slot container
4) The item amount is lower than one

Just a heads up, I will be refactoring the Item Hotbar this week to fix a bug, it will affect the Item Hotbar components,
I will add instructions on how to upgrade in the release notes once the change is live

I've been toying around with this for a few hours and for the life of me can't figure it out. I tried to set up the hotbar similar to the demo, but no luck. Mind taking a look at my setup and tell me what I've done wrong?

Here is the console error, which leads me to believe the panel binding isn't working somehow...

Add what it looks like:

Inventory Grid:

Item Hotbar Panel:

Item Hotbar:

Thanks, as always, for the help!

.... I don't see anything wrong ...
Could you rewrite from scratch the panel name on the panel and the item action? I'm suspecting either that there is an invisible space somewhere or that Unity somehow is getting confused with the serialization.

Also could send me a screenshot of the Display Panel Manager? it needs to be at the root object of your UI. In your case of the HUD game object
Also make sure that's the only one in the scene at all times:
1606822481886.png

I just realised I need to find it by ID instead of by searching the entire scene it should solve future issues if people have multiple ones in their scene

The issue, from what I can tell, was that my item hotbar was not within the folder structure of the main Inventory Canvas. As you can see by this first screenshot, the hotbar shows up overtop of the inventory, which is why I had it on a separate canvas, but that was apparently casuing the problem. I am still getting a console error when I play the game, though it does assign items to the hotbar correctly:
  1. Any idea what's causin the console error?
  2. What's the best way to hide the hot bar when I open the menu (or should I just lay out my UI slightly differently?)
The second issue I'm running into is that when I click on the item in the hotbar, it doesn't do anything. I believe I have it set up correctly using my item action (it worked in the previous version). Here is how I have the "use tool" function set up. Note: It works fine from the inventory grid.

Finally, you asked to see my display panel manager:

Yes all your UI should be under the same Panel Manager at least for now. I'll add an option that lets you use the item hotbar from another Canvas.

The action panel might not appear because the Action Panel is somwhere else? I don't see it on your hotbar panel. It might be a reference in the other canvas?

Your panel manager seems good