Help with VR Add-On!

Outsource

Hi
I purchased UFPS & the VR add-on a little while ago. I'm confused on how to set up a few things. I'm using Oculus Rift touch controls but I want my game to be easily used on other platforms.

1. How do I prevent my VR character speed from slowing down when looking up or down? I would like my character to have the same movement speed no matter what direction I'm looking at. I can't figure out what variable controls this. The non VR demo scene character maintains the same speed no matter what direction you're looking. I'm confused why the VR character is set up different.

2. I would like my character to start off holding a weapon, rather than grabbing & dropping, I'm trying to set up my scene more like the standard non VR scene, having multiple weapons that can be accessed by button selection rather than grabbing from the environment.

3. When using directional rotation, how do I disable the blinking effect where the screen blacks out before rotation?

4. Is there a way to have the character move in the direction relative to the controller & not the direction you are looking towards? Majority of VR first person games allow you to walk in a direction but still allow the player to look in any direction without the character moving in that direction.

The standard Oculus OVR character already has the perfect movement speed & rotation so if these can't be easily adjusted, is it possible to set up the OVR player with the UFPS combat system?

Justin

Administrator
Staff member
1. What ability are you using to move the character?

2. This will take some scripting to do but you can equip a weapon described here.

3. You can disable Wait for Fade on the Directional Rotate ability.

4. Yes, you can set it up so it uses regular movement instead of moving with an ability. Take a look at this thread.

I will also be including this as an option in the next update.

5. I haven't tried to use it with the Oculus OVR character but I suspect that it'll take a good amount of scripting in order to get the two working together. For this add-on we wanted to use the generic Unity VR implementation so it doesn't require any other plugins and works with any headset that Unity supports.

Outsource

Hi, thanks for the response.

My movement type is "First Person Free Look", I'm using the "Free Movement" ability to move. When I keep my head looking forward, my character moves at a normal speed, for some reason when I look up or down, the character's movement slows down.

I don't have a "Wait for Fade" option in the Directional Rotate ability. I have "Fade Duration" is that what you mean?

I'll take a look at the thread links you sent to see if I understand, or I'll wait until the updated movement options.

Justin

Administrator
Staff member
In this scenario I don't think that you'll want to use the Free Movement ability, but instead just use the method described in the Smooth Movement thread.

Ah, Wait for Fade isn't in the version released yet. Yes, if you set Fade Duration to 0 then it should no longer fade.

Outsource

Using the First Person VR movement type, my character's speed still slows down if I look up or down. What is the variable controlling this? I need my characters walking speed to stay consistent no matter what direction the player is looking. I'm not sure the reason behind this. I've never seen this in any VR first person game, is this some sort of default comfort setting?

Justin

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using regular locomotion? If so, are you able to reproduce this within a non-VR scene? The movement speed should change because of your pitch.

Outsource

Yes I'm using regular locomotion. In VR if I look up or down while walking, the player slows down, when I look forward the character speeds up again. This makes the movement feel sluggish & restricted similar to a bad framerate. How do I fix this? In non VR, the movement speed does not change based on what direction you're looking at.

Justin

Administrator
Staff member
I just tried to reproduce it but wasn't able to. I'll work on releasing an update that has the smooth locomotion as a movement option so you'll be able to see how I set it up.

When you output the m_MoveDirection within CharacterLocomotion.MoveDirection does the velocity change based on the pitch of the camera?