Help Setting up Item Pickup

marmofish

Hi, I'm still relatively new to UCC and though I've looked through the documentation and asked on the discord, I'm still struggling with getting some help as to how to properly set up a pick-uppable item. Basically, I have an item sitting on a table that I would like the character to pick up. I'm sort of struggling to figure out what needs to be set up on the item itself, the item pickup, and the player ability to make sure it all works correctly. If someone could walk me through this process or offer any tips, it'd be much appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks for linking that video!

You should also take a look at the demo scene. For example, in the starting corridor there is an assault rifle pickup - inspect this and have a look at how its ItemPickup component is configured. Also take a look at how the default Pickup Item ability is set up (in Nolan's UltimateCharacterLocomotion component).

Oh I missed that video - it's a big help! Thank you!

A follow-up question - I have the pickup working now but it's not appearing in my character's hands when walking through it? The pickup item ability also doesn't seem to be triggering.

I don't know if it might have anything to do with having one item already in the inventory as part of the default loadout?

Thanks so much!

If it helps here are the current setting on my item pickup and pickup item ability:
item pickup:
1594765717562.png

pickup item ability:
1594765956976.png

Have you tried increasing the size of the trigger collider on your pickup object, make sure it's bigger than the objects actual collider too.

Do you have the correct layers checked in the ability's "Detect Layers" field? Be careful when using "Use Look Direction" with the "Trigger" object detection mode. Also, keep in mind that the order of the abilities in the abilities list determines each ability's priority: abilities lower down in the list will often be blocked/overridden by abilities higher up. Check the trigger collider as FMWFiremage suggested, although based on what you said, the pickup ability is not getting triggered at all? (i.e. the object doesn't despawn)

Sorry, I should have clarified - the pickup ability IS being triggered, as in the object does despawn and get added to the inventory. However it is not appearing in my character's hand and I am unable to equip it

Do you have a GameObject set up with the Item component for this item, with the correct Animator Item ID?