FreeClimb Starting from top Issue

GearedGeek

I have ran into I believe the same issue with the ladder climb where it seems the animator gets stuck. The character can start the climb from the bottom and move up then dismounting. The issue happens when the character starts the Free Climb from the top of the FreeClimbCube to go down. It seems that the issue happens when the character isn't close enough to the ledge of the FreeClimbCube. I believe I have added all the states required for the FreeClimb per documentation. I have posted a video of the issue.

1626665692280.png 1626665711194.png1626665454768.png

On the FreeClimbCube you'll want to add the MoveTowardsLocation component. The character will use this when starting to climb from the top. I'll add a note of this to the documentation.

Do you need to adjust position of the MoveTowardsLocation component? That green circle that appears with the MoveTowardsLocation component. If so then where would you need to position it since the character can climb all the sides of the FreeClimbCube.

You just need to adjust the z offset. The x and y offset will change according to the character's location. A good starting point is to copy the Move Towards Location component from the free climb object in the demo scene. I set the z offset to a value of 0.5.

Try setting the yaw offset to 0. If that doesn't work can you send me a repro scene so I can take a look at both that and the ladder issue that you are having?

I changed the yaw offset to 0 and it seem to fix the issue where the character will perform the top mount correctly until it got stuck. I have to press F to dismount then the character was off the FreeClimbCube but the animator was still stuck until I started to FreeClimb again.

1626685219548.png

I'm not sure where to put this but I found out something else with the FreeClimb. There character will try to do a dismount even if there is something blocking. I'm guessing that the FreeClimb is detecting the top face of the FreeClimbWall so it tries to dismount but once it gets to the top it pushes the character outside the top block.

Here's the video.

1626685953145.png

This is the view from the inside of that top block.
1626686128082.png

It seems that the character collider doesn't care about any other GameObjects while FreeClimb is active.

Attachments

• 1626689273942.png
    1626689273942.png
    336 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Here's something new. If you rotate an GameObject with the MoveTowards component on it and try to mount it with FreeClimb your character will be sideways.

1626700627933.png

1626700714984.png

I have recreated the GameOjbect with 0,0,0 rotation.

1626700893824.png
Before making sure the GameObject doesn't clip through the ground plane.

1626701010626.png

Once I fixed the size of the GameObject the character would climb it correctly. Apparently the FreeClimb ability doesn't like it when the GameObject clips the ground/terrain.

1626701097382.png