FPS Mesh Tool and First Person arm positioning

clarson

Using the FPS Mesh Tool to separate the arms out on a model. Everything is working, except that the arms are way above the head. I found a post where Justin had suggested using the First Person Perspective component to adjust the pivot, but that doesn't exist on the character, the only place I have seen/used that is on items, like weapons. I tried using the position offset on the First Person Objects component and while it will move the arms, the pivot is still wrong.

What am I missing?

Do you have a weapon equipped? The arms will normally only show if there is something equipped so you can adjust it using the First Person Perspective Item on that item.

I do have a weapon equipped. It's a runtime weapon, how does that work if I were to have different player models the player could choose from, since the weapon will be configured for this specific player model?

And I will give that a try, it never dawned on me to try adjusting the arm position with the weapon....

That seems to be working for the arm position, except now when I position the weapon to fit it's much smaller in the camera view then when I was using it with the Nolan character. With Nolan I could adjust it to fit the hands in the scene view and it looked the same in the camera, but now it is way off. I can't even get it to look correct in the camera now.

Is there something else I can adjust to correct this?

This could just be related to the model size difference, although I'm not sure yet. Going to step through this with a different model and see what happens.

It's a runtime weapon, how does that work if I were to have different player models the player could choose from, since the weapon will be configured for this specific player model?
This is a bit more tricky. On the ItemPickupBase component after the prefab has been spawned (within DoItemPickup) you'll want to adjust the item location. I can look at making it easier to extend for this use case in the next update.

This is a bit more tricky. On the ItemPickupBase component after the prefab has been spawned (within DoItemPickup) you'll want to adjust the item location. I can look at making it easier to extend for this use case in the next update.
Thanks, that would be a nice feature. I haven't started to tackle that quite yet so thanks for the tip, so I know what to focus on.

I'm also finding that it seems better to use the FPS tool to create a separate mesh with just the arms, and then add that to my prefab, much like Nolan is. I still have to adjust the pivot point on the weapons first person perspective component to get the arms positioned right, but I don't have to use the UCCFPSMaterialController component. I was actually having issues with that depending on the model, and transparency when aiming in 3rd person didn't seem to work correctly then, either.