Final IK + Quadruped Grounder

Luke

Hi Opsive Team,

I was wondering if you support integration with the Quadruped Grounder script in Final IK with the TPC Controller.

I am still using TPC Version 2.1.10 due to not using any items in my game (The game is all animals).

When downloading the integration I get a lot of errors due to the new namespaces.

The Quadruped Grounder works in a limited way already, but has no control over any rotations of the Opsive TPC.

Ideally I would like to stay in version 2.1.10 as I not using items with the Opsive controller.

I hope there is a way to adjust the FinalIkBridge script to work in this version.

Last edited:
I just downloaded the Cinemachine integration and get the same type of error.

Cinemachine.cs(9,17): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Shared' does not exist in the namespace 'Opsive' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Are there older versions of these scripts available?

The Rewired and Playmaker integrations work with no issues, but I did download them last year.

Unfortunately I do not have the old versions of the integrations. The integrations are all set to work with the current version.

I have not used the quadruped grounder script but I can take a look at it to see what it'll take in order to support. I suspect that it's similar to the full body IK script so it's just a matter of updating it in the correct order.

Thank you for the response Justin.

Sorry I put this in the wrong place! I have made a few changes to the UCC script so have been reluctant to upgrade.

If you could let me know if you can get it working it would be a massive help!

Last edited:
Updating to the latest version is definitely a good first step. From there you should be able to follow a similar structure as what I do with the FullBodyIK component in terms of when it is updated.

I'm sorry, I'm kind of asking for a support request.

I'm unable to make the intergration myself, otherwise I would have just made it rather than posting here.

I have tried, it took me some time to notice that the player wasn't being rotated!

With the player not using items, how many extra methods will be added to my player from upgrading to the latest version?

My project is near completion and I don't really want to be adding extra fluff for no reason.

Last edited:
I can take a look at adding support for quadruples but I don't have an ETA of when I will be able to and will also be using the latest version of the controller. I understand not wanting to update especially since you are near release. Updating to version 2.2 was a pretty major update but it did include a lot of useful features and fixes. The FinalIK integration in particular has gone through a lot of changes so there is a benefit to updating just for this integration.

In general though you should be able to follow a similar structure as the FullBodyIK component. You'll want to disable it at the start and then manually tick it.

Within Awake: QuardupleIKComponent.enabled = false;
Within UpdateIK: QuardupleIKComponent.solver.Update.

@Luke - It turns out the FinalIK integration does not need to be updated for the Quadruped Grounder component at all. What you can do is set the Root Rotation Weight on the component to 0 and then have the character controller take care of the rotations with the Align to Ground ability. This will allow the quadruped component to place the feet positions while allowing the Align to Ground ability to rotate the character. With this setup there is no jitter and you don't need to make any code changes.

That is great news Justin!

Will I not lose the ability to 'Slide' when using the 'Align To Ground' ability?

Has this been fixed in a recent update? If you use the 'Align To Ground' ability the player would never slide.

I don't know what version it was added to but on the slide ability you can override the up direction. This will allow the character to slide regardless of the character's gravity direction.

I just had a play with Align To Ground, it rotates the player - I will need to update to get slide working.

But the camera also rotates and it creates a sickly feeling when playing.

Is there a way to stop the camera from rotating up and down when following the player, or at least tone it down a little?

At this time the camera will rotate with the character but I've added a new option in version 2.3 to prevent the camera from rotating with the character.

I saw the update today - thank you Justin I will have a play with the new option!
Updating to 2.3 should resolve the rotations with Finak IK + Quadruped models.

Hey Justin - I just updated and can't see the option to stop the camera from rotating?

Last edited:
Ok so the player will now rotate without the camera.

But the reason I started using Final IK is because I lose the slide ability and the player can walk vertically when using align to ground.

The override up direction doesn't seem to do anything? I tried setting it to 1 - 90 on each axis and the player still won't slide.

Also the slide ability is above the align to ground ability.

I am not certain how the override works?

The up vector is a normalized vector so you'll likely just want it to be (0,1,0). The new parameter is called Update Character Rotation.