Error with latest integration in first-person controller

I have the latest versions of First Person Controller and Behaviour Designer in the latest 2019 LTS build. The latest integrations between the two Opsive packages is throwing an error:

...Behavior Designer\Integrations\UltimateCharacterController\Scripts\Tasks\StartEquipUnequip.cs(67,20): error CS0029: Cannot implicitly convert type 'void' to 'bool'

Any ideas?

Anasta

In version 2.2.7 I changed StartEquipUnequip so it returns a bool. Based off of that error it doesn't look like you are running the latest character controller version.

Thanks.... How do I update, as I bought through opsive not the unity asset store so I can't just update through package manager

Thanks.... How do I update, as I bought through opsive not the unity asset store so I can't just update through package manager
You can download it through your account on the Opsive Account page.

Odd, pretty sure I updated the controller. I'll check again.
If you're using the Package Manager it's finicky with downloading the latest version sometimes. You should verify the version by looking at the version listed on the welcome screen editor window.

I'm using the package manager. The import function states that there is nothing to update, in that the files in the latest version seem to match those of the previous version. Clearly, however, they don't. I'll keep playing around with this and see if I can find a solution. Some of my original Opsive scripts have been altered (for the purposes of my own project) which may be problematic. Will post again when I have more info.

Right... So I needed to reinstall the controller using the tool, which then erased my custom stuff and pretty much destroyed my build so far. Luckily I'm in the habit of backing everything up after every session. Not really prepared to reverse engineer my entire project... This isn't, by the way, Opsive's fault at all. It's just a pain in the backside that is the consequence of using an actively-updated system. Ho hum.

I think what I'll try is to back-up my project (call it A), make a copy (B) and update B to the latest controller. Then use WinMerge to find a diff between the two versions and apply the diff selectively to B looking out for my custom bits only. That might work, but I'll need you to collectively cross your fingers. Either that or I stick with the old version of the controller.

Last edited:
Finally cracked it. So, I had to reinstall all of the Opsive systems again (pretty much all of the available ones) and all of my integrations.

Then I diffed my customised scripts with the new official ones and transferred the missing code until everything worked. Took a couple of hours in total, so not so bad. Having some issues with the SmoothMove, which throws errors to do the with Main Camera and player character, but I've commented out the stuff in the function that was causing the issue and everything still works fine. Not perfectly happy with that though, and it's odd because nothing I've touched went near that.

Just an idea - I'm guessing most Opsive users don't use the systems as they are, straight out of the box. Almost everyone will have custom code, sometimes including code-changes to the original Opsive code. It would be really helpful if any future updates came with a full diff-file. Then we could see exactly which scripts have changed and where/how they have changed and thus make more intuitive decisions about how to reintegrate our own systems.

I seem to have the same problem as AnastaDhara with installing the UCC integrations from the Downloads page. When installing I get the same error:

Assets/Behavior Designer/Integrations/UltimateCharacterController/Scripts/Tasks/StartEquipUnequip.cs(67,20): error CS0029: Cannot implicitly convert type 'void' to 'bool'

I'm just downloading the Behavior Designer integration with UCC from the Downloads page as directed after installing Behavior Designer. This has always worked in the past. Perhaps the new version of StartEquipUnequip.cs didn't get put on the integrations page in Downloads?

I just ran across the above since I start new clean installs from time to time.

Hope you can fix this - or make the revised file available.

John

Update on the error in the previous message. I noticed on the notes in UCC versions about the problem with updating in the Package manager. Following the discussion it appears that updating has been problematic for sometime. The last post a few minutes ago said the problem was fixed in the new version of Unity. I uploaded and now the package manager seems to work properly....!! Hooray...