Error while switching a weapon

bluebird

Hi,

I've assigned 4 item types to Default Loadout in Inventory.

While I switching weapon with Q or E, I'm getting following errors:

In demo scene switching works perfectly.
Is there anything which I forgot to set up?

It doesn't look like the selector is initialized - if you click on the item in the hierarchy it should initialize that item.

I already clicked on item in hierarchy for configure
I also assigned crosshairs sprites in item.cs, adjusted clipsize in ShootableWeapon.cs, assigned reloadable clip object and it's attachment.

Btw, I didn't get your point about selector initialization & initializing an item. I gone through your video tutorial and I did the same as video for creating item types & items.

Note that, if I choose to have only assault rifle, then no errors came into console and it works fine.

later, I removed all items from Default Loadout and added only shot gun.
And play the scene, but I can't fire bcoz it shows bullets 0 in UI monitor. It happens same in case of pistol also.

why it is 0, even after I specify consumable item type to 200 in Default Loadout?

I set look sensitivity to -1 in all items as it mentioned in fire trouble shooting steps:
https://opsive.com/support/document...roller/items/actions/usable/shootable-weapon/

Go through this video for error re-generation steps:

Attachments

• animator audio.PNG
    animator audio.PNG
    20.5 KB · Views: 3
There is a lot going on in that video and it's not a completely new character so I'm not able to completely follow along with what configuration has happened in the past. Taking it one step at a time, it sounds like you got the assault rifle working but not the shotgun, correct? For the shotgun you should be able to follow the same steps that you took for the assault rifle except use a different ItemType and Animator ID.

Hi Justin,

I followed same steps as I did for assault rifle, I also changed item types & animator id while creating item.
here is video for adding shotgun and I didn't able to fire. I think reason should be a bullet count, it shows 0 in canvas.

After adding shotgun to Nolan, I added pistol.

I recorded a video for this:

You can check item sets into ItemSetManager, shotgun had higher priority. Then played the scene, it threw same error as I got before (check previous messages).
Then I swapped out item sets and I kept pistol as a higher priority (see at 1:50) and shotgun as a second priority.

There wasn't any error but I also wasn't able to shoot with pistol. You can see bullet count 0 in canvas. (I assume that is the reason behind firing isn't working) Firing should work as I set look sensitivity to -1. (see at 1:00)

Note that, this problem is not only for shotgun & pistol; but when I carry assault rifle and pistol/shotgun in default loadout, in that case I also faced same error. Only working thing is assault rifle in loadout, if I add second weapon into default loadout then problem will arise at switching the weapon.

I hope that both recorded videos can help you to troubleshoot the problem and get the fix soon.

If the shotgun doesn't work then I would first try to get that item to work rather than adding a new item. Having zero bullets would prevent it from firing. What does your inventory look like?

Ok. This time I configured only shotgun.

I noticed a difference when I set 'profile' field of item manager to 'Shotgun'. In this case, there won't be any bullets appear in UI monitor. I added bullet count 50 in inventory, even after it does not appear in UI canvas. (loaded & unloaded bullets stays to 0)

When I don't select profile (ie. keep it to None) while setting up shotgun item, It works fine. but I ran into different problem this time.
I've set up shotgun with bullet type count of 50 and clip size 10. after bullets gets finish in magazine OR I press R on key board, reload animation doesn't play. So I checked into inspector and noticed that reload item ability is activated, but reload animation doesn't play. and this ability doesn't even stop. here is the video:

I would not use the profile since it looks like you got further. If you debug the animator controller does the Slot 0 Item State Index change to 3 when reload is active? If so, is the reload state being played on the arms layer?

I enabled debug for animator and checked that when I press R, Slot 0 Item State Index change to 3 but doesn't go back to 0. It stays at 3 after key press.
At this time in Arms Layer, active state is Idle state, it doesn't switch to Reload state.

Last edited:
Ah hah - think I figured it out. On your shotgun change the reload Animator Audio Selector to Random and also have an Item Substate Index of 3. Once you do that the animation should play.

You'll also need to ensure that you deselect the Reload Event's Wait For Animation Event toggle and specify a duration of 0.42.

Hi,

I made modifications as you said. (only change is loaded and unloaded bullets are set in UI)
1) but firing is not working.

I noticed following things:
Slot0 Item State Index is still 3. (It should be switch back to 0 and when I fire it should switch to 2. but it doesn't change!)
Slot0 Item State Index Change is still enabled. (It should be disable after reload completes)
In Arms layer of animator, active state is Idle

2) Also, IK isn't working.
I don't know what's going on behind..

You can check screenshots attached

Also, can you clarify why there are problems to set up basics features of asset? (like firing, reloading, switching weapons, run time pick up)
I didn't use any custom characters/weapons/animations yet! I used whatever came with asset.
Still I'm facing issues with setting up basic things. I followed your tutorials as they are.

Are those videos deprecated or what? I have only one item working - assault rifle.
It feels like the process is not straight forward to set up. :(

There are lots of common problems/questions comes everyday regarding core features to setting up.
Please rework on tutorial videos/documentation for each weapon. I would suggest to pin up common problems at top of forum.

It has been a month since I started exploring this asset. but I'm still struggling to work with basics correctly o_O

Attachments

• shooting.png
    shooting.png
    223.4 KB · Views: 5
  • ik prob.png
    ik prob.png
    338.5 KB · Views: 6
Here is a three minute long video of me setting up the shotgun. I haven't setup the shotgun in awhile so it wasn't a perfect run through but I was able to fire and reload. IK also works. Hopefully this helps:

Also, can you clarify why there are problems to set up basics features of asset? (like firing, reloading, switching weapons, run time pick up)
I didn't use any custom characters/weapons/animations yet! I used whatever came with asset.
Still I'm facing issues with setting up basic things. I followed your tutorials as they are.

Are those videos deprecated or what? I have only one item working - assault rifle.
It feels like the process is not straight forward to set up. :(
This is a large asset so it takes some time to fully understand how it works. I would love to make it easier so if you have any suggestions I'm all ears, but I can't make a video for every weapon because that would cause the videos to go out of date too quickly when we change a parameter within the demo scene for example. The videos that are out there now are accurate and it explains the overall concepts well, but for something like a shotgun where there aren't any tutorials for it I recommend comparing the values of the shotgun within the demo scene to your shotgun.

Okay. thanks for clarification and video link.
Unfortunately, that website is not available in our country, so can't watch your video.

by the way, good news is shot gun is set up successfully.
and I can switch between assault rifle and shotgun, now

For IK, I changed value of 'Hand Weight' property to 1. It's also working now.

Looks like you got it figured out but i noticed something and thought id share
When you chose a profile it over rights the consumable item type you entered and changed it back to the demo settings.
You needed to go into the inspector and change it to your item type.

Attachments

• Opsive_Screenshot.PNG
    Opsive_Screenshot.PNG
    1,018.2 KB · Views: 12
@causeynick yes, you're 100% right.. Consumable item type of Item Manager & ShootableWeapon doesn't match!
but that issue b'coz of choosing profile field while setting up item..

If we set profile field and build an item, it doesn't set our custom bullet type in ShootableWeapon component.
I solved this issue by not selecting 'Profile' field - ie. keep it to None