Edge Avoidance

Hello,

I am working on a top-down level, where I do not want my character to fall off the edges of the platforms. But there are so many of them, and I am looking for a way to make this possible without adding an invisible collider near every single platform edge.

I know that Character Locomotion Controller is checking for ground, but is there a way to make it check for the edge of a collider and make the player not go off an edge?

Thanks.

The correct way to do this is a new ability. There isn't anything built in for this use case.

The correct way to do this is a new ability. There isn't anything built in for this use case.

Is there anything on the roadmap to add such an ability? I am assuming this would be very useful for many top-down game scenarios, and possibly for many other types of settings. (Something like "Avoid Fall" ability).

You can create your own abilities and there is documentation and videos about it available. You're going to want to learn how for your project anyways. When it comes to adding it as a standard ability that only makes sense if it would be used regularly by many users. When it comes to edge detection, the best way to determine that is going to very wildly depending on the design of the game. Some instances you may use nav mesh, in others, rays, in others, trigger, etc...

I can help ya if you need. Just curious, why would your top down game have holes in the floor that you can't fall down? Isn't that part of the fun? You can always fence / block your areas off in level design and unprotected holes? Well let them fall imo! Haha. Of course that totally depends on your design.