Character waypoints getting changed at runtime

I have a character that uses a moderately complex BH tree and currently it uses 3 waypoints that are children of the character, though I do not imagine the quantity of waypoints matters. When I go into play and check those waypoint game objects, they are in a different position and usually go outside of the navigation mesh, causing the player to be stuck running into a wall.

Any idea what might be causing these to change? I would prefer to keep them as children to the character if possible, as I find it makes it easy to manage.

Also, I find it interesting that it allows the character to run into the walls. I thought it was updating target locations in the navmesh agent, though I admit I haven't dug much into this, and don't think it would necessarily be a concern if the waypoints were in the intended locations.

Unless you are explicitly setting the position none of the behavior tree tasks will move the waypoints. You could see if it's caused by the behavior tree by slowly disabling the tasks, but my guess is that it is caused by something else.