Carry or lifting up item to move around

dereklam0528

hi,

I am trying to allow my third person character to lift up and carry item around like mario carrying a penguin around. He can still jump and walk around.

mario-64-3-1600245521.jpg

I am not sure how to approach this. Do I need to create a new ability? Or I can use the interact ability as I will need character to face it to pick it up? it has a quick lifting up animation and I was able to make it carry and walking with a new ability index that I created, 101. But as soon as I hit jump, because the ability index is 1. Therefore it switches to 1 and forget about switch back to 101 which holding the item in hands. Do I need a new jump ability with ability index matching to 101? And disable normal jump when carry object?

The easiest way to do this would probably be to just have the object be an Item that the player can pick up and carry in their inventory. You don't have to give it any specific ItemActions (like Melee or ShootableWeapon), so it can just be held without doing anything specifically. Of course you'd want to set up its position differently, maybe a unique pickup/carry animation, etc. But there shouldn't be any need for a unique Ability. You may then also need to add a couple of extra small things, e.g. ensuring that the player can't switch to other items whilst carrying it, which would be easy enough to do either with the state system or a little custom code. If you need help with those things feel free to ask.

The easiest way to do this would probably be to just have the object be an Item that the player can pick up and carry in their inventory. You don't have to give it any specific ItemActions (like Melee or ShootableWeapon), so it can just be held without doing anything specifically. Of course you'd want to set up its position differently, maybe a unique pickup/carry animation, etc. But there shouldn't be any need for a unique Ability. You may then also need to add a couple of extra small things, e.g. ensuring that the player can't switch to other items whilst carrying it, which would be easy enough to do either with the state system or a little custom code. If you need help with those things feel free to ask.

I thought about it too. but the thing is I will have like 20+ or more item depends on the level design. It could be a puppy or cat or plants etc. I feel like it is not feasible to add all the item one by one in the inventory. Unless I can have an item that most cases and I just need to reposition the item to desired position?