Can't Create Item Definitions

DainBramages

Getting a warning and error that "Cannot create ItemDefinition with null or abstract Category" when I try to create a new Item Definition in the UIS manager. It was working 2 days ago. Now, suddenly not. It allows me to create categories. I just can't make new things to use under them. This is only about the fifteenth time something has suddenly stopped working with either UCC or UIS after I moved to working on quests or something else. Overall, I find your products very confusing and frustrating but I'll save the lengthy details of that for another forum.

Can you share a screenshot of the editor showing the item definition that you are trying to create?

You type anything in the Item Definition blank on the UIS manager and hit 'add' and you get the same log warning and error. Normally, it lets me type whatever I want and then I assign a category and set the settings.

Attachments

• opsiveUISerror1.jpg
    opsiveUISerror1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 6
  • OpsiveUISerror2.jpg
    OpsiveUISerror2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 6
Instead of showing a picture of the log what does the editor window look like when you create the item definition? Also, what does the item category window look like? Based off of that error it doesn't look like you have a category selected or the category is abstract. The Item Category field has to point to a non-abstract category.

1685136449825.png

This is the integration demo database. I added one thing to it a few days ago and it worked fine. I made a new category and when I tried to add anything in the item definition blank and press 'Add', I get that warning and error.

Attachments

• opsiveUISerror3.jpg
    opsiveUISerror3.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 4
I had to open one of my previous other 9 Opsive projects that I restarted after they went sideways to test this. So, yeah, when you make a new Item Definition it starts as the "Uncategorized" category which is probably the only time you use that category. Somehow I fatfinger clicked the "abstract" checkbox on Uncategorized in the category menu. So when I went to create an Item Definition, it wouldn't because the default category, Uncategorized, was set to abstract, which is a type of category that cannot be set in the Item Definitions ( See? I read stuff). Imma credit you with figuring it out even though my mom said you should have known Uncategorized was the default creation category and it was probably set to abstract. Also, my mom didn't say that. But thank you for the assistance. :)

I'm glad you were able to figure out the issue.
I've added to my list that the Uncategorized category should never be set as abstract. Once that's hard coded hopefully no one will ever have that issue