Camera Jitter

K4rim97

I followed the example video on how to set up a character and it works well so far, but the camera movement jitters while aiming in first and third person mode. I'm not having this issue in build mode, just in the editor. The Demo scene works well.
However, i've already checked the forum and discord and tried every solution i was able to find, but nothing fixed it. (LateUpdate, Camera Position Smoothing set to 0...). Using exactly the same settings as on the Demo Scene Player didn't change anything as well.
Same Issue on Unity 2019 & 2020 with a clean project .

Do you have the character selected and open in the inspector at the same time as playing? If so it seems to affect framerate and you're best selecting a different object in the scene while play mode is active.

Do you have the character selected and open in the inspector at the same time as playing? If so it seems to affect framerate and you're best selecting a different object in the scene while play mode is active.
yes, but it keeps jittering / lagging. I've seen this issue being reported multiple times on the forum, but it seems like there hasn't been found a solution.

Hmm... Either there is mouse input latency or something is wrong with the Game scene. Maybe see what happens when you size the game scene smaller or change the aspect ratio to 16:9?
Sorry for being vague!

Hmm... Either there is mouse input latency or something is wrong with the Game scene. Maybe see what happens when you size the game scene smaller or change the aspect ratio to 16:9?
Sorry for being vague!
The game scene should be fine but it really seems like there is something wrong with the mouse input. I've tried several mice, but no success. However, the game pad (xbox Controller) is working fine. Not lag or jitter, super smooth.
Fixed Timestep set to 0.01 instead of 0.02 helps a bit, but still not smooth.

Last edited:
The game scene should be fine but it really seems like there is something wrong with the mouse input. I've tried several mice, but no success. However, the game pad (xbox Controller) is working fine. Not lag or jitter, super smooth.
Fixed Timestep set to 0.01 instead of 0.02 helps a bit, but still not smooth.
Weird, so it was the mouse input. What’s your PC specs, may I ask?

As you can see, the demo scene, as well as creating a new scene works fine, no jitter:

But after restarting Unity, the same issue appears (only in the new scene, not in the demo). (First time in playmode i'm using the mouse, second time the game pad):

Sorry to hear that your issue persists man. I can’t seem to think of a way to resolve this either. If the demo scene works fine with mouse then it is 100% the problem with the new scene. If you say all the camera settings are default then I don’t know what else to suggest.

I have the exact same specs but I have a 5700XT as the gpu. When I made my new scene, I also followed through the video tutorial with the steps. Then when I pressed play, I kind of had a little bit of jitter. But it was then fixed after I saved the scene and had the inspector empty.

Maybe it’s something to do with the character itself being imported into another scene? Try making a fresh new character with the character manager, or whatever the thing’s called. Using a model without all the components and stuff already attached.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that your issue persists man. I can’t seem to think of a way to resolve this either. If the demo scene works fine with mouse then it is 100% the problem with the new scene. If you say all the camera settings are default then I don’t know what else to suggest.

I have the exact same specs but I have a 5700XT as the gpu. When I made my new scene, I also followed through the video tutorial with the steps. Then when I pressed play, I kind of had a little bit of jitter. But it was then fixed after I saved the scene and had the inspector empty.
It's really strange. I've been using Unity for a long time, but i've never seen anything like this before.
Another thing that i've noticed, after deleting all the models from the demo scene and just keeping the important objects, i'm having the same issue.
I've tried using the demo character and a complete new character in an empty seen, but same issue.
In build mode it runs super smooth, but in the editor i'm completely stuck sometimes.

I guess that’s just the editor acting up. It used to lag for me sometimes when I pressed play and use the editor’s game scene.
But now I have too many things in my scene, making it only a freeze frame when I use the editor. So building it and playing it is my only option.

Like what I said before, see what happens when you try creating a completely new character, using a model that does not already have components attached to it. Using Opsive’s manager, and use that new character instead.

Last edited:
I guess that’s just the editor acting up. It used to lag for me sometimes when I pressed play and use the editor’s game scene.
But now I have too much things in my scene, making it only a freeze frame when I use the editor. So building it and playing it is my only option.

Like what I said before, see what happens when you try creating a completely new character, using a model that does not already have components attached to it. Using Opsive’s manager, and use that new character instead.
That's probably it. I'll leave it as it is right now. At least i can still use the game pad as mouse as long as i have this issue.
I've already tried the thing with the new character, but same issue.

That's probably it. I'll leave it as it is right now. At least i can still use the game pad as mouse as long as i have this issue.
I've already tried the thing with the new character, but same issue.
Yep, sorry about that. You’re going to have to play-test it like how I do if it gets too laggy xD

I've found the issue. Now it totally makes sense, why the demo scene was working and my new scene wasn't.
By default, the editor game view of a new scene doesn't use Vsync. After toggling, the jitter completely disappears.
I still don't get why my game pad was working and the mice weren't, but i honestly don't care, because it's working now ?

Last edited:
I've found the issue. Not it totally makes sense, why the demo scene was working and my new scene wasn't.
By default, the editor game view of a new scene doesn't use Vsync. After toggling, the jitter completely disappears.
I still don't get why my game pad was working and the mice weren't, but i honestly don't care, because it's working now ?
I’m glad you found the solution! ? Dang, I should’ve known that. How silly of me. Good luck and god speed with your unity game development!
I’mma head to bed now, it’s pretty late at night here haha ?

I’m glad you found the solution! ? Dang, I should’ve known that. How silly of me. Good luck and god speed with your unity game development!
I’mma head to bed now, it’s pretty late at night here haha ?
i actually tried to toggle Vsync in the quality settings before, but that didn't change anything. However, i didn't know about the 'Game view only' thing. Really happy that it's working now.
Good luck & take care :)