[Bug] Look Sensitivity with Bow preventing drawing, not firing.

DavidC

The look sensitivity warning and call is done when the player starts to draw back the bow. When it's already drawn, they can shoot at any angle.

Go to demo 3rd person view, pick up bow. Look at ceiling, trying drawing, get warning message (below). Look forward, draw bow, look up at ceiling release (shoot) arrow.
1624472478296.png
This is on version 2.3.3 in my vanilla UCC only project.
1624472452756.png

The problem is more pronounced in my game because I'm using UMA and it changes the character enough that the look sensitivity triggers at more angles. I'll have to troubleshoot that aspect, some time.

I just tried to reproduce it in both a first and third person view but I wasn't able to reproduce it. Here's a video of what I am trying:

Weird. I fired up the same demo project today and wasn't able to reproduce like I did yesterday. I think somehow I changed the camera to manage to look straight up, yesterday, which was making the bow work outside of look sensitivity. I tried lowering the look sensitivity of the bow in the demo during runtime, but while it makes the warning pop up, I can still draw and shoot.

So here's the demo allowing me to both draw and shoot while getting the warning message. (Look Sensitivity changed to .999 during runtime).

Here's my game, which is now behaving the same way (yesterday it allowed me to draw but not shoot, today it allows me to do both.

I was assuming this was a simple error of when the check was taking place on the bow (draw time and not release time). Now I'm not so sure what's going on since I seem to be able to trigger the message without being prevented from shooting.

I'll take another video and record any settings or behavior that might be affecting it, if I see the other behavior happen again.

So, I think the behavior I'm getting changed because I had turned off the NPC. With the NPC there (and therefore a collider right next to the character), I'm getting it in my project, again. Two things to point out is how the bow starts to draw back and then resets, and also towards the end the character gets stuck with their arms straight down with "Use 1" ability going constantly. I saw the same thing with nolan in demo when messing with look sensitivity and standing next to a wall. Not every time, but every ~10 draw warnings.

The reason for this error is that it indicates the forward direction of the weapon isn't in the aiming direction so it doesn't know when to fire. This is used for hip firing. If you decrease the Look Sensitivity then it will have more of a chance to fire.

With a different rig you will likely need to adjust the look sensitivity because with animation mapping the animations will not line up as well as they do with the Nolan rig. I have been trying to reproduce the warning with Nolan but haven't been able to. The weapon colliders do not do collision detection so it shouldn't have an issue if the character is near a collider.

The reason for this error is that it indicates the forward direction of the weapon isn't in the aiming direction so it doesn't know when to fire. This is used for hip firing. If you decrease the Look Sensitivity then it will have more of a chance to fire.

With a different rig you will likely need to adjust the look sensitivity because with animation mapping the animations will not line up as well as they do with the Nolan rig. I have been trying to reproduce the warning with Nolan but haven't been able to.

Thank you. I'm more concerned about the warning preventing drawing, but allowing shooting (instead of the reverse) when using the bow.

The weapon colliders do not do collision detection so it shouldn't have an issue if the character is near a collider.

There's the behavior of when the player is close to a collider (such as a wall), it forces the arms into the idle (weapon held), state. This is what I was thinking might be related. Though, again, I'm more concerned about the warning popping up, but not stopping shooting.

Is the intent that the warning is never supposed to pop up with a properly configured character? I figured it was supposed to also be prevention for certain cases where the player would be constrained by or clipping through nearby objects (terrain, boulders, trees and other splats, etc.)

Last edited:
There's the behavior of when the player is close to a collider (such as a wall), it forces the arms into the idle (weapon held), state. This is what I was thinking might be related. Though, again, I'm more concerned about the warning popping up, but not stopping shooting.
If you move close to a wall within the demo scene do you get the warning?

Is the intent that the warning is never supposed to pop up with a properly configured character?
Yes, that's correct. If the warning pops up that means the firing has been delayed (or not at all).

I figured it was supposed to also be prevention for certain cases where the player would be constrained by or clipping through nearby objects (terrain, boulders, trees and other splats, etc.)
The warning is for making sure the weapon is facing straight, whether that be through animations or the spring system. It should not be affected by the collision detection.

Let me explain another way.

Bow is charge and hold. Right now the Look check is when you start charging in CanUseItem() in Projectile Weapon.cs

I would skip the look check here ie

Code:
if (! chargeAndHold)
    CanFire();   // this is the look check function

so a player can charge even if the weapon isn't aimed correctly.

then, in "TryStopUse()" where Charge and Hold weapons call Fire() do

Code:
if(chargeAndHold)
    {
    if(CanFire())   // don't let them shoot if the look check fails
        //finish firing
    else
        //relax bow without firing
    }

I hope that makes sense?

Last edited:
That does make sense. We are releasing version 2.3.4 shortly and I'll take a look at this after that.