Bow stuck in Drawn Position -- Won't Shoot or Return to Idle

mrblasto

I'm following the video tutorial trying to get the arrow to shoot. I draw the bow back with the left mouse button but it gets stuck in the Bow Aim Idle state in mechanin and doesn't return to idle or shoot when I release the mouse. It happens in both 1st and 3rd person perspective. I've tried both with a character from scratch and from the demo character. The bow animation works fine in the demo but once I delete the bow from the items, I run into the same failure to exit the Bow Aim Idle state.

Thanks in advance for any information on the problem.

This is probably related to the animation triggers. You can either use the bow state configuration to pull in everything automatically, or ensure the equip/unequip/use events are set to what the demo scene uses.

If neither of those work have you tried comparing the component values between the working bow in the demo scene versus your bow?

This is probably related to the animation triggers. You can either use the bow state configuration to pull in everything automatically, or ensure the equip/unequip/use events are set to what the demo scene uses.

If neither of those work have you tried comparing the component values between the working bow in the demo scene versus your bow?

I was able to get it to work by copying values from the Nolan in the demo scene. But it's very frustrating not to know exactly what it is. I'm already debugging another problem that I'll post separately about, it's far too much work to A/B to figure out what was wrong. Also, the bow configuration only puts in the spring values. It doesn't deal with the weapon position. It's far easier to take the fully loaded Nolan and work backwards. But that's still not a perfect solution because certain things like the position of the bow or the arrow when drawn back are not preserved.

I'd like to make a suggestion. In the old UFPS you had several scenes of varying complexity as well as several players each with a different set of weapons, only the city office building scene was complex enough to require a long light baking time. You should have a clean scene as well.

You should take a look at the state configuration profiles - they are made for this so you can get up and running quickly :)

I'll think about providing simpler demo scenes, but the one thing that I like about having a single scene is that it makes maintenance easier when there are changes. Maybe the new prefab system in 2018.3 would help with this.