Best tutorial on AI for Behaviour Designer

James

So, I have UCC and BD. Great Asset.
I've been able to successfully get the First Person UCC configured but now I'm looking at options for AI Enemy/Friendly entities.

Is there a tutorial for AI using UCC and BD ?

Are combining these two assets the best way of creating game AI opponets etc

thanks

I had a lot of trouble in the beginning, but after a bit of treading deep waters I feel confident I could make a simple version of anything. I use UCC and BD in my game and I have been able to create some rather cool stuff with simple trees. What I found that helped me the most was a old paid tutorial I found which just recently shutdown.

Behavior trees are a wide field and will take some time to learn and get it to click but you will get there. I would highly suggest reading the Gamasutra article (link) Justin recommends and just getting an overall gasp of what behavior trees are.

What are you trying to accomplish? I could stream the process of creating a simple enemy to help you get started. Send me a message if that would help.

Hey Nicky, thanks for the reply. I'm just trying for a basic enemy movement. Seek, find, shoot, hide if possible. I have the Deathmatch AI kit, I assume that should work as well I would just need to understand that the entire B.T. may not work with my basic sandbox environment?

I did find this tutorial.

Do you think this is something that covers the basics enough?

I haven't messed with the AI kit so I don't know much about it. For starters have you download the UCC/BD integration and run that demo?
The Demo is a great way to see what is possible but for me it had too many moving pieces to reverse engineer to learn the fundamentals.

If I understand your question, then yes it should be fine for a sandbox game or any game for that matter.

The integration kit has BD Tasks that you will need if you want your enemies to Seek the player and use UCC abilities (such as the Use abilities on the Ultimate Character Controller Locomotion component which will allow your AI to shoot). Also the BD pack on the asset store provide a lot of great Task that are helpful as well, the Movement Task Pack I think is a must.

Hope this helps!

Thanks @Nicky_g_!

There is also this page which has a list of resources. The BD/UCC integration video goes through step by step what the tasks do: