Behavior Designer 2 Status Update?

attaway

Hey @Justin how's v2 coming along? Any chance you could share a status update with us?
Not trying to rush you, just super curious how it's coming along.

I'm still in a holding pattern. Unity has announced that they are going to be releasing DOTS 0.50 soonish and eventually DOTS 1.0. I'd like to target DOTS 1.0 for longer term support. In addition, Unity's graph editor layer is also going through changes so the previous work that I've done will have to be reworked for the new API. In short, it's still not a good time to go fully-fledged development if I don't want to have to redo work. I really wish that I could get started on it since the promise of DOTS should offer some huge improvements.

I'm still in a holding pattern. Unity has announced that they are going to be releasing DOTS 0.50 soonish and eventually DOTS 1.0. I'd like to target DOTS 1.0 for longer term support. In addition, Unity's graph editor layer is also going through changes so the previous work that I've done will have to be reworked for the new API. In short, it's still not a good time to go fully-fledged development if I don't want to have to redo work. I really wish that I could get started on it since the promise of DOTS should offer some huge improvements.
Looking forward to this :)

In my game i used to have 9000 asteroids at 2 FPS on a built client (a lot of physics and Updates don't scale well)
With DOTS i can easily have 90k at 60fps (and even 1mil just plain data objects, Physics is still FPS consuming but DOTS solves all the updates and performance issues. Burst is just INSANE)

I made a wrapper GameObject that transfers from the BehaviorDesigner to DOTS and vice-versa. Works pretty well

Right now i don't think i'll have more than 1000 BehaviorDesigner instances, so it isn't a performance issue, but since i am doing an MMO + RTS i would love to be able to scale in the future also these guys :3

I hope we can still choose to use DOTS or not with V2. :)
Yes, one of the goals is that with tasks you will be able to decide if you want to use a DOTS task or not. The base behavior tree execution would be in DOTS though so that would give you the speed.

Unity just recently released version 0.50 of DOTS so they are slowly making progress. They said that 1.0 will be a breaking change though so I am still holding off. I will probably start v2 development again as soon as we release v3 of our character controllers. I am much more motivated to want to release something on the Asset Store when the underlying API is stable :) There haven't been any updates to the graph API but this is easier to do independently.

Yes, one of the goals is that with tasks you will be able to decide if you want to use a DOTS task or not. The base behavior tree execution would be in DOTS though so that would give you the speed.

Unity just recently released version 0.50 of DOTS so they are slowly making progress. They said that 1.0 will be a breaking change though so I am still holding off. I will probably start v2 development again as soon as we release v3 of our character controllers. I am much more motivated to want to release something on the Asset Store when the underlying API is stable :) There haven't been any updates to the graph API but this is easier to do independently.
hey, how's the update on this?