Applying velocity inheritance to projectiles

I've been trying to set up a gun that shoots a laser beam similar to that of star wars. Those lasers travel slower than bullets and the trouble I'm having is that when I strafe and fire, the lasers look like they have wind resistance. They don't appear to be emerging from the gun, but rather a foot or two beside the gun depending on my direction. Is there some way to allow the projectile to inherit the velocity of the item firing it? Is this something that could be added? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could implement this feature?

Here is a good demonstration of projectile velocity inheritance in unreal:

Last edited:
The projectile system isn't meant to be a continuous laser so I wouldn't use that for this situation. The ShootableWeapon component does not have an option to shoot a laser though it did in version 1 and I've added it back to my list. Right now it'll take some modification in order to add a LineRenderer (or similar component) to fire between the two different positions.

Hi. Having a laser projectile would be really cool and make a lot of sense. It's definitely a missed feature that has no reason to be excluded from a product called ultimate shooter. I haven't updated in a little while, so I don't know if that feature has been re-added. If so, that is great. But I was wondering if we could also have a velocity inheritance feature for projectiles. I think it would go a long way in making slower projectiles, such as rocks, missiles and arrows, more fun and realistic to shoot.

I've tried hacking it by using the velocity inheritance module on a particle emitter. But it doesn't detect the firing item as the parent object. In the mean time though, is this something that could be easily scripted into the projectile script? Could I write a separate script that only handles velocity inheritance? I'm not very familiar with scripting, so any suggestions would be very helpful. Could I use Bolt for this?

Thank you for providing such an amazing set of tools.

In the next update the projectiles will inherit the character's velocity.

I haven't updated yet. Do projectiles now inherit velocity? I checked the change logs, but didn't see anything specific.

@Justin did this ever happen? I don't see anything in Projectile, Destructible, or TrajectoryObject that would indicate that projectiles inherit velocity.

Separately, if you were going to try to make lasers (both continuous and near-instantaneous) work with ShootableWeapons, would you have any hints on where to start? My initial thought for a near instantaneous laser would be to create a component that could store the fire point of the weapon, and draw a line from the fire point to the projectile's position. I guess one limitation of this is that it would only detect collisions at the tip of the laser, which might work for an near-instantaneous laser but not for a continuous one.

Last edited: