Animation and positioning issues with hanging

Cheo

Hello, I had an annoying time last night with this issue :

To put it simply, it seems that the demo hang system only works correctly with the default Atlas model. I don't know if there's some rigging issue (it would the first I'm seeing with your asset), and I don't understand why the repositioning doesn't happen with the YBot character when the hang idle animation starts playing. You can't see the character window in this video but both characters have the exact same setup and animator, which should contain the same events. And this is not only about Mixamo characters, I have the same issue with Character Creator 4 characters as well !
Even if I do not plan to use UCC's default hang animations this still is a real issue, especially when it comes to the missing repositioning. I had trouble adding other hanging animations from the Ultimate Traversal pack and I'd like to see the default content working perfectly first before moving on to something else. Thanks in advance !

Last edited:
Does your new character have the same parameter values as Atlas? You can debug what object is being found (and the normal which looks like is what is causing the issue) by placing a breakpoint within Hang.DetermineNextHangObject and seeing what raycast is returned.

DetermineNextHangObject is meant for checks from a ledge so it doesn't apply here, but raycastNormal and raycastRotation from Update return the same values when debugging them : RaycastNormal = (0.00, 0.00, 1.00) RaycastRotation = (0.00000, 1.00000, 0.00000, 0.00000).
The detected object indicated in the inspector is the hang ledge in both cases. May I please ask you to try for yourself with a character other than your owns ?

I just tried it with Unity's Armature model and it worked. The Relative Hang Offset value needed to be adjusted but that's expected. There isn't really anything special about the Atlas character. Is that raycast normal correct? You can enable Draw Debug Gizmos to visualize the raycasts. I'm not sure of the orientation.

My guess is that the ability is detecting the wrong object.

Hang.png

Alright, I got it ! 2 things : first, some ledges seems more capricious than others, not sure why. But most importantly, the root of the issue is actually the Relative Hang Offset, please try this and tell me what happens : set the Y value of the Relative Hang Offset back to -0.22 - its default values - and try hanging on the curved ledge. On my end, a y value of 0.05 gives the character a correct rotation while -0.22 creates the rotation issue I showed in the video. However, this rotation issue did not occur on the ledge you tested on, but in both cases I forgot to mention it was impossible for the character to climb up. Is it the same for you when you put the value to -0.22 and try climbing up from the same ledge ?
Anyway thanks for your help, this actually set me in the right direction ! Once I'll be done replacing your default animation with the ultimate traversal ones I'll make a quick video showcasing the results :)