Adventure Kit WIP

@Sangemdoko - hi, just wondering how this Kit is coming along?

[edit] will this kit support, stats, modifiers, conditions, abilities, races, classes, skill trees, all those sorts of RPG and Adventure tropes?

It is coming along ok, we had to delay it a bit to focus on the new UIS and UCC versions coming out very soon.
Once that is released we'll start working on this kit full time.

This package will include a very simply stat system that integrates with item attribute and character attributes. That stat system includes modifiers and you may extend it to include custom modifier functions.

I'm not sure what you mean by conditions.

The package will include some new character abilities, such as Carry and Push/Pull.
I'm guessin you are refering to a ability hotbar? That's not something we plan on adding in this Kit. Instead we will show using items from the hotbar. Similar to how the magic fire spell works in the integration demo.
If you organize your item/character abilities a certain way you can easily map Item Actions to item/character abilities which you can use to make your own custom ability hotbar.

Races, Classes, Skill Trees and other RPG elements will NOT be included in this package.
By Adventure Kit we plan on making something closer to a Zelda or Uncharted game, with exploration, traversal and puzzle solving using items and equipment you collect.

Our goal with this package is to show a project using UCC and UIS working toghether with scene transitions, saving, etc... It's also a way for us to improve both UIS and UCC by pushing them to their limits.

It is coming along ok, we had to delay it a bit to focus on the new UIS and UCC versions coming out very soon.
Once that is released we'll start working on this kit full time.

This package will include a very simply stat system that integrates with item attribute and character attributes. That stat system includes modifiers and you may extend it to include custom modifier functions.

I'm not sure what you mean by conditions.

The package will include some new character abilities, such as Carry and Push/Pull.
I'm guessin you are refering to a ability hotbar? That's not something we plan on adding in this Kit. Instead we will show using items from the hotbar. Similar to how the magic fire spell works in the integration demo.
If you organize your item/character abilities a certain way you can easily map Item Actions to item/character abilities which you can use to make your own custom ability hotbar.

Races, Classes, Skill Trees and other RPG elements will NOT be included in this package.
By Adventure Kit we plan on making something closer to a Zelda or Uncharted game, with exploration, traversal and puzzle solving using items and equipment you collect.

Our goal with this package is to show a project using UCC and UIS working toghether with scene transitions, saving, etc... It's also a way for us to improve both UIS and UCC by pushing them to their limits.
Thanks for the reply. I have a better understanding of the scope now. My 'condition' I meant things like 'burning' or 'poisoned' say which effect Stats over time, that sort of thing. I am guessing that is not directly in scope either? TBH, I am now more interested than ever though in the next releases of UCC and UIS... :)

We'll have a trigger that attacks the player over time (a poison area). But we do not have a status effect system.
The way the poison will work is using a custom damage processor which checks if you have an item equipped that prevents poison damage.

We'll also have a new feature to enable/disable Character States depending on items that are stored in certain item collections. For example have different character states when the character equips something. This can in return let you do whatever you want using the state system, for example it can be used to enable/disable character abilities, change character speed, and much more

Is there any chance that the abilities push, pull and carry could be released in a smaller package as well e.g like the climbing pack? I would like to use that in my game but I have no need for the UIS parts.

Is there any chance that the abilities push, pull and carry could be released in a smaller package as well e.g like the climbing pack? I would like to use that in my game but I have no need for the UIS parts.
You will be able to use those abilities separate of the Adventure Kit, but we won't include them as part of a larger pack until we have more abilities we can publish together.

Has the adventure kit arrived yet? If not eta?
It's still in development. We currently don't have an ETA, but it'll be sometime early next year.

You will be able to use those abilities separate of the Adventure Kit, but we won't include them as part of a larger pack until we have more abilities we can publish together.
That is great news!
It's still in development. We currently don't have an ETA, but it'll be sometime early next year.
I’ll gladly beta test this if that means that I can get my hands on the abilities sooner. :)

I'm also happy to test/give early feedback, I already have Third Person Controller, UIS, BD, Dialogue System and Quest Machine

One feature I request is an AI that can aim & fire gravity affected arrows with variable strength/draw of the arrows/bow depending on the distance & height between the player & aiming enemy. I guess it'd also need to take into account the gravity in the scene set in Unity.

I think currently the bow shoots straight projectiles that are not affected by gravity. So, the AI using a bow is just like shooting a gun, but an AI that is able to aim projectiles affected by gravity with variable draw/strength would really add realism.

Also, another pack with improved Melee would be nice. Currently Unity asset store is lacking a polished Melee combat assets unlike Unreal.

Last edited:
@opsai
You can use the throwable item type for spears. It is very limited but does give you a semblance of a realistic spear throw. But I agree that eventually a more refined ability for this would be extremely welcomed.

I'd like to see an improved "lock-on" system as part of the Adventure Kit. Where you can press a button to stay locked onto an enemy, and then press keys like "left" and "right" to switch between enemies. And for this to flow well when switching between guns/melee weapons and between 3rd and 1st person perspectives.

It would also be great if you could program the melee fighting to work a bit more like in the Game Creator Melee Module, where there are hit reactions, etc. https://docs.gamecreator.one/melee/melee

And another suggestion: A different style User Interface. Something like how switching weapons in Halo 3 works - for dual wielding guns. Or, some way to hold key (A) to toggle left hand weapons, and hold key (B) to toggle right hand weapons... and if a right hand weapon that uses both hands is selected, it would automatically remove the left handed gun. Something like this.

In Halo 3, you can hold down one key to pick up a weapon into the left hand, and hold down another key to pick up a weapon into the right hand. The game limits how many guns can be carried at a time. Maybe that could also be a feature you could add, that could be turned on or off depending on what you want for your game.

Justin wrote this in the Adventure Kit discord channel
Adventure Kit is very much alive!
I've briefly mentioned it on the forum, but we're currently working on version 3 of the character controller. I'm not ready to mention the upcoming new features yet, but it should solve some of the common issues on the forum.
Santiago is completely revamping the item system
Instead of releasing adventure and then releasing version 3 a couple of months later we are instead just going to have adventure release with version 3
Version 3 is not a complete rewrite like version 2 was - I still really really like the overall structure of version 2. Just needs some tweaks to make some of the questions on the forum easier to handle
And because it's not a total rewrite we are also able to release it sooner than the two years it took us to release version 2. We are hoping for a summer release.
So I am currently working on remaking the Item system for UCC to make it more modular. It will also hopefully make the UIS+UCC integration easier and more advanced since I'm writing it with that in mind. Like Justin said, it will be to everyones advantage if we wait until UCC version 3 is released before releasing the AdventureKit.

If you have any requests specific to the Adventur Kit (things that can only be done with UCC+UIS) please let us know. We are mostly focusing on developing systems that allow items to affect the player character in different ways (i.e equipping an item enabling/disabling character abilities, affect character attributes, etc...)

So I am currently working on remaking the Item system for UCC to make it more modular. It will also hopefully make the UIS+UCC integration easier and more advanced since I'm writing it with that in mind. Like Justin said, it will be to everyones advantage if we wait until UCC version 3 is released before releasing the AdventureKit.

If you have any requests specific to the Adventur Kit (things that can only be done with UCC+UIS) please let us know. We are mostly focusing on developing systems that allow items to affect the player character in different ways (i.e equipping an item enabling/disabling character abilities, affect character attributes, etc...)

I'd find it very helpful if you included a few examples in the kit of different ways to "pick up" items. For example, the way it works in games like Monster Hunter, where you see an icon for the pick-up-key when you're near an item, and then the character plays an animation (that character picking up the item by hand or hitting a rock with a hammer or something), while playing a sound effect, etc. And, another way, like in say, Metroid games, where when you pick up a key-item (very important item), a message shows in the middle of the screen, while the game pauses for a moment.

I'd find it very helpful if you included a few examples in the kit of different ways to "pick up" items. For example, the way it works in games like Monster Hunter, where you see an icon for the pick-up-key when you're near an item, and then the character plays an animation (that character picking up the item by hand or hitting a rock with a hammer or something), while playing a sound effect, etc. And, another way, like in say, Metroid games, where when you pick up a key-item (very important item), a message shows in the middle of the screen, while the game pauses for a moment.
These should all be possible right now with a bit of extra code. But I agree having a more straight forward system and more example would be nice and it's within scope. I've added that to my list of TODOs for the Adventure Kit

Hi Sangemdoko, my requests are:
- One melee, one rifle type and one bow type weapon out of the box that are easy to select
- Polished player combo attack animations
- A close range melee enemy attack AI and a long range enemy attack AI (like an enemy that shoots an object at the player)
- Save/Load integration
- UIS, Dialogue System and Quest Machine basic integration
- Can easily switch the main character, NPCs and enemies to the Synty Studios characters without animation issues
- Bonus (lower priority): If the player can choose between 2 or more main characters (ex: Male or Female)

I'm not looking for a lot of features but I rather have fewer features that are very high quality and solid. Do you think those are feasible for the initial release of Adventure Kit? Thanks!

To reply to your requests in order
1) that should be in
2) We'll do our best to get some good combo attack animation for the melee attack, with melee aim assist.
3) I doubt we will add any AI enemies built-in the Adventure Kit. But we may add a Behavior Designer integration that adds enemies to the Adventure Kit. By default there will be dummies that don't move that you'll be able to hit and destroy.
4) Save/Load will be part of the Adventure Kit, including multi-scene management
5) UIS will be required in the Adventure Kit. We are hoping to add a Quest Maching and Dialogue System integration
6) This will be hard, There will always be some issues because the models are not the same, so the animation holding weapons will always need to be tweaked. So I'll look into it but it probably won't be possible to make it work perfectly in a few clicks.
7) The Adventure Kit will have a single new character (not Nolan). I doubt we will be adding a character select screen.

I agree with you on having high quality over quantity for this kit. UCC and UIS are both huge in feature set already. This Kit will be used as a template to get started quickly, essentially it'll come with a demo that's a high quality micro game, with a start and finish. I think people will find the most use for it to quickly prototype their game idea on top of it, or simply learn from it to give you ideas for your current and future projects.