Adventure Kit WIP

Sangemdoko

Staff member
Hi Everyone,

First I would like to thank the people who have been using the Ultimate Inventory System (UIS) for the past few months. Your feedback has really made, and will continue to make UIS a better asset. I started working on UIS 2 years ago with the goal of making the best inventory system on the Unity Asset Store ever, and now it feels like this goal is just on the horizon. We still have a huge list of features to add and improvements to make, and we will implement those over the next few months/years. That being said, the feedback we received lets us think that UIS is starting to be more stable and I believe it is time I start multitasking! So in 2021 I will start working on a new project for Opsive in parallel to the updates planned for UIS.

We believe it is finally time to get started on a template project, bringing all the Opsive family assets together to make something awesome. We are even partnering with Pixel Crushers to add an optional integration with Dialogue System and Quest Machine. We know a lot of you have been requesting that for a while now so I hope this announcement gets you excited!

We are calling this new project the Adventure Kit.

Since our assets are focused on flexibility and extensibility we could make any type of game genre for this template project. But of course we need to scope the project to something that can be made in a few months part time. Our plan is to make something similar in scope to the Deathmatch AI Kit project.

We have a few ideas of what we would like to do and we want to hear your thoughts on them. You can also suggest other ideas if you think they are better suited for this project. Once the discussion gets started we may start a poll to see what ideas the community likes best.
Disclaimer: We will use the votes as an estimation of what the community wants the most. The most voted idea might not be implemented, in the end we will be making the final decision of which ideas are and aren’t worth implementing.

The assets to take into consideration are:
  • [Required] Ultimate Character Controller, First Person Controller, or Third Person Controller (UCC): This will be used to control the player character (maybe the enemy characters), using weapons, etc.
  • [Required] Character Agility Pack: The agility pack has a few character abilities which will be essential for this asset. Mainly hang, ledge strafe, balance and crawl
  • [Required] Ultimate Inventory System (UIS): This will be used to manage all the Items, the UI, clothes, crafting, etc.
  • [Required] UCC & UIS Integration: The integration package is required to allow UIS and UCC to communicate.
  • [Optional] Behaviour Designer (BD) : Control the AI for the enemies (which will drop items on death)
  • [Optional] Dialogue System (DS) : Adds story, dialogue and cutscenes
  • [Optional] Quest Machine (QM) : Adds quests that NPCs could give the player

Restrictions​

Important: There will be some restrictions such that we can complete this project in a reasonable amount of time
  • This is NOT a game: This project is not a full game, it will not last more than a few minutes to play through the demo. It is a KIT which showcases how we would use UIS + UCC to make an adventure style game. To get an idea of the scope for this project refer to the Deathmatch AI Kit.
  • NO network support: UIS does not yet support network functionality, and adding networking to a template project like this will over-complicate things, making the project take way longer to implement.
  • NO features out of scope: We will not be implementing features which are not relevant to our characters and inventory assets. That includes farm systems, destructible terrain, character creators, 2D gameplay, etc.

Considerations​

We are open minded to consider a few of the features below, but understand that we cannot add all of them in, to limit the scope.
  • Free packages: We are considering using some of the free unity packages like cinemachine, post processing, new input system, etc. but we aren’t sure that is a good idea for the long term. For now we have chosen to avoid them. Tell us your thoughts are on that.
  • Themes: We detail our initial idea below for the theme, but this can change over time. If you dislike the theme or want something else let us know below and we will take it into consideration.
  • Your ideas: We may not have thought of something obvious, make sure to let us know what type features you would want us to showcase in this KIT. We could add it to the poll such that other users can vote on it.

Initial Idea​

Genre: 3D Action-Adventure Platformer
Inspiration (take with a grain of salt):
Art style: Realistic Environments with semi-stylized characters
Features: platforming, puzzles, inventory, crafting, item gathering, equipping/using items, scene transition, saving/loading, options menu
Optional Features: Combat, dialogue, quests

More Features list (We may add or remove features from this list over time):
  • Limited inventory space with limited stacks
  • Bow with multiple arrow types
  • Equipping Weapons & Clothes
  • Items with Cooldowns

Many of the features introduced in this project will be ported to the base solution. This project will make the integration more stable and easier to use. The Agility pack will also be improved as a result of this project.

The Deathmatch AI Kit brings a ready-made AI to your game, and with the Adventure Kit we plan on it providing an out of the box solution to getting your adventure game up and running. This includes new abilities, item actions, puzzles, scene transitions, and a general flow showcasing how all of the assets can be used together.

The demo will consist of a series of platforming and puzzle challenges to reach a goal.

The character will climb a mountain and collect items during the journey. There will be some puzzles and platforming (optionally combat and dialogues) to reach the peak. Puzzles will consist of gathering/crafting certain items, hitting objects in the correct order, moving objects in the correct spot, defeating X enemies, etc.

The demo will include multiple scenes with scene transitions, an options menu and save/loading to showcase a solid design which is robust, scalable and reusable.

You can watch this video (recorded the 5th February 2020) to give you a better idea of what direction we are going in. Note that this is a very early prototype (please ignore the bugs XD), we just started a couple of weeks ago. This project will take a few months to implement.

https://streamable.com/s7nukf

Thank you for your time, I hope you are all excited about this project as I am. And hopefully we can make an awesome asset that many of you will find very useful.

Hi Everyone,

First I would like to thank the people who have been using the Ultimate Inventory System (UIS) for the past few months. Your feedback has really made, and will continue to make UIS a better asset. I started working on UIS 2 years ago with the goal of making the best inventory system on the Unity Asset Store ever, and now it feels like this goal is just on the horizon. We still have a huge list of features to add and improvements to make, and we will implement those over the next few months/years. That being said, the feedback we received lets us think that UIS is starting to be more stable and I believe it is time I start multitasking! So in 2021 I will start working on a new project for Opsive in parallel to the updates planned for UIS.

We believe it is finally time to get started on a template project, bringing all the Opsive family assets together to make something awesome. We are even partnering with Pixel Crushers to add an optional integration with Dialogue System and Quest Machine. We know a lot of you have been requesting that for a while now so I hope this announcement gets you excited!

We are calling this new project the Adventure Kit.

Since our assets are focused on flexibility and extensibility we could make any type of game genre for this template project. But of course we need to scope the project to something that can be made in a few months part time. Our plan is to make something similar in scope to the Deathmatch AI Kit project.

We have a few ideas of what we would like to do and we want to hear your thoughts on them. You can also suggest other ideas if you think they are better suited for this project. Once the discussion gets started we may start a poll to see what ideas the community likes best.
Disclaimer: We will use the votes as an estimation of what the community wants the most. The most voted idea might not be implemented, in the end we will be making the final decision of which ideas are and aren’t worth implementing.

The assets to take into consideration are:
  • [Required] Ultimate Character Controller, First Person Controller, or Third Person Controller (UCC): This will be used to control the player character (maybe the enemy characters), using weapons, etc.
  • [Required] Character Agility Pack: The agility pack has a few character abilities which will be essential for this asset. Mainly hang, ledge strafe, balance and crawl
  • [Required] Ultimate Inventory System (UIS): This will be used to manage all the Items, the UI, clothes, crafting, etc.
  • [Required] UCC & UIS Integration: The integration package is required to allow UIS and UCC to communicate.
  • [Optional] Behaviour Designer (BD) : Control the AI for the enemies (which will drop items on death)
  • [Optional] Dialogue System (DS) : Adds story, dialogue and cutscenes
  • [Optional] Quest Machine (QM) : Adds quests that NPCs could give the player

Restrictions​

Important: There will be some restrictions such that we can complete this project in a reasonable amount of time
  • This is NOT a game: This project is not a full game, it will not last more than a few minutes to play through the demo. It is a KIT which showcases how we would use UIS + UCC to make an adventure style game. To get an idea of the scope for this project refer to the Deathmatch AI Kit.
  • NO network support: UIS does not yet support network functionality, and adding networking to a template project like this will over-complicate things, making the project take way longer to implement.
  • NO features out of scope: We will not be implementing features which are not relevant to our characters and inventory assets. That includes farm systems, destructible terrain, character creators, 2D gameplay, etc.

Considerations​

We are open minded to consider a few of the features below, but understand that we cannot add all of them in, to limit the scope.
  • Free packages: We are considering using some of the free unity packages like cinemachine, post processing, new input system, etc. but we aren’t sure that is a good idea for the long term. For now we have chosen to avoid them. Tell us your thoughts are on that.
  • Themes: We detail our initial idea below for the theme, but this can change over time. If you dislike the theme or want something else let us know below and we will take it into consideration.
  • Your ideas: We may not have thought of something obvious, make sure to let us know what type features you would want us to showcase in this KIT. We could add it to the poll such that other users can vote on it.

Initial Idea​

Genre: 3D Action-Adventure Platformer
Inspiration (take with a grain of salt):
Art style: Realistic Environments with semi-stylized characters
Features: platforming, puzzles, inventory, crafting, item gathering, equipping/using items, scene transition, saving/loading, options menu
Optional Features: Combat, dialogue, quests

More Features list (We may add or remove features from this list over time):
  • Limited inventory space with limited stacks
  • Bow with multiple arrow types
  • Equipping Weapons & Clothes
  • Items with Cooldowns

Many of the features introduced in this project will be ported to the base solution. This project will make the integration more stable and easier to use. The Agility pack will also be improved as a result of this project.

The Deathmatch AI Kit brings a ready-made AI to your game, and with the Adventure Kit we plan on it providing an out of the box solution to getting your adventure game up and running. This includes new abilities, item actions, puzzles, scene transitions, and a general flow showcasing how all of the assets can be used together.

The demo will consist of a series of platforming and puzzle challenges to reach a goal.

The character will climb a mountain and collect items during the journey. There will be some puzzles and platforming (optionally combat and dialogues) to reach the peak. Puzzles will consist of gathering/crafting certain items, hitting objects in the correct order, moving objects in the correct spot, defeating X enemies, etc.

The demo will include multiple scenes with scene transitions, an options menu and save/loading to showcase a solid design which is robust, scalable and reusable.

You can watch this video (recorded the 5th February 2020) to give you a better idea of what direction we are going in. Note that this is a very early prototype (please ignore the bugs XD), we just started a couple of weeks ago. This project will take a few months to implement.

https://streamable.com/s7nukf

Thank you for your time, I hope you are all excited about this project as I am. And hopefully we can make an awesome asset that many of you will find very useful.
My team and I are really interested in this. We just started our own project recently and went down the same path, with the same assets and are calling ours the RPG Mashup. We added ABC to the mix as well and have UCC/BD working with ABC at the moment. Keep updating, we would like to follow your progress and compare strides!

TheVisad - RPG Mashup

Will this kit showcase how we can have experience gains and leveling or is it basically just adding all the assets currently available into 1 bundle?

The video looked interesting, but if it will already showcase the UCC, UIS, Dialogue and Quests system from Pixel Crushers, it would be nice to round it out and also show examples on experience gains on ability use(mining/woodcutting/crafting/combat/etc.)

Add in the Love/Hate asset also offered by Pixel crushers and it could turn into one of the best templates to get people up and running.

Infinity PBR just has a character creation asset for free in the store so if it integrated with that (and what I mentioned above)it would be a well rounded template that would have:

Controller
Inventory
AI
Dialogue
Quests
Reputation system
Character Creation
Experience and Leveling
Save system
Etc.

It would easily vault into one of the top template kits available.

This sounds fantastic! What about a spear throw? - I finally have my own spear throw working but would love to have a one that you guys designed.

regarding the suggestions you have above, you can already assign quests from Dialogue System alone, what about using Quest Machine to proceedurally assign Quests to NPCs for basic AI behaviour beyond attacking.

Last edited:
Might also suggest you guys think about adding support for Kronnect's Compass Navigator Pro. Tony's assets already have great support for it so there isn't really anything you would need to do beyond adding it to the demo, but as far as open world games go, CNP is pretty ace.

This sounds great. Frankly, my biggest issue with the UCC is that it's a fantastic controller that has alot of aux systems (weapons, inv, ect) attached so tightly that building your own custom tools/weapons/systems ontop of it is very tough. If the UCC was just a rad character controller that'd be one thing, but if the ucc is going to go the extra mile and be like a half-toolkit, then having a dedicated "Look, here's what you can actually MAKE with this thing" asset/toolkit would be wildly helpful. Cuz NGL, alot of time with the UCC is spent unraveling it and not actually making things, leading to alot of teams actually dropping it because it's Good, but hard to work with.

Yeah for real, a really solid example of a Melee weapon that can swap modes between Melee and Throwable would be a godsend. We got it to work, but then it ran into issues with the UCC locking up on 3 hit combos, and then it got screwy with animation positioning, and it was all so much trouble that it sorta fell apart. Given how extensively the ucc is tied to it's weapon system, far more examples of how to build neat interesting weapons out of it would be fantastic. Cuz as it stands, the ucc is a fantastic controller that has alot of tough to handle parts bolted on.

I mean that or just releasing a lite version that's only the movement stuff would be great, i mean being able to travel on moving surfaces so smoothly alone is wonderful. But in liue of that, something more extensive like this would be great. A highly scripted demo test area just doesn't cut it when the tool is this detailed and critical to a game.

This sounds great. Frankly, my biggest issue with the UCC is that it's a fantastic controller that has alot of aux systems (weapons, inv, ect) attached so tightly that building your own custom tools/weapons/systems ontop of it is very tough. If the UCC was just a rad character controller that'd be one thing, but if the ucc is going to go the extra mile and be like a half-toolkit, then having a dedicated "Look, here's what you can actually MAKE with this thing" asset/toolkit would be wildly helpful. Cuz NGL, alot of time with the UCC is spent unraveling it and not actually making things, leading to alot of teams actually dropping it because it's Good, but hard to work with.

Yeah for real, a really solid example of a Melee weapon that can swap modes between Melee and Throwable would be a godsend. We got it to work, but then it ran into issues with the UCC locking up on 3 hit combos, and then it got screwy with animation positioning, and it was all so much trouble that it sorta fell apart. Given how extensively the ucc is tied to it's weapon system, far more examples of how to build neat interesting weapons out of it would be fantastic. Cuz as it stands, the ucc is a fantastic controller that has alot of tough to handle parts bolted on.

I mean that or just releasing a lite version that's only the movement stuff would be great, i mean being able to travel on moving surfaces so smoothly alone is wonderful. But in liue of that, something more extensive like this would be great. A highly scripted demo test area just doesn't cut it when the tool is this detailed and critical to a game.
word. I just had the same discussion after this was my experience too

I know this question is probably a long shot but I'll ask it just in case. Any thoughts about split screen co op? As well any thoughts about integrations like with Rewired to help with controller support?

@GearedGeek Split Screen is supported by both UCC and UIS and so is Rewired.
But as you would expect I doubt we will make this a focus for this new project.
I think the focus will be on making a showcase of a what can be achieved with UCC+UIS, which will give users a good example to learn from and for us to push UCC+UIS to its limits and make the integration more scalable and stable.
It seems most people want stats and a better melee combat example. So I'll try my best to include those... although I can't promise anything.

That being said converting this project to use Rewired and work in split screen should be possible. It may require some little tweaks for the Co-op to function properly though.

^^^ This would be great. UCC/UIS/BD has fantastic features but building and debugging weapons and characters is a major pain and consumes way too much time. Also please have all the code have a Debug mode where it logs warnings when a particular call returns failure. Other than that, the scope and project looks GREAT and will be very helpful.

Last edited:
That's awesome, I'm really looking forward to it! Can you please add some nice polished attack combos like The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild?

Last edited:
When do you expect to have a version for early feedback and how is it going to be announced? Looking forward to this, I think this will be the best adventure template in the Asset Store because you are using the best of each category of assets that each do one thing very well (Dialogue System, Third Person Controller, Inventory System, Quest System, Behavior Designer, etc.) instead of trying to build all the features from scratch into one template. I didn't want to buy the other templates because I doubt that they can deliver well on everything, but the one you are building should be able to deliver because each of its component is already proven to be high quality for many years.

I'm glad you are excited about our upcoming project. We expect to release it before the end of the year. The focus will be UCC+UIS and the asset will come with a full playable prototype where the player needs to go from point A to point B while exploring multiple scenes and collecting items. We'll setup puzzles that require the character to have some items equipped to solve, crafting with luck%, bow with multiple arrow types, etc...
Behavior Designer and the Dialogue System will be have integrations with the AdventureKit but they won't be required, unlike UCC, UIS, and the agility&climb packs.

The goal is to show how with a few overwritten functionalities you can create something very unique. And at the same time it allows us to improve all our assets and their integrations by testing a "real" case scenario, with saving, scene transitions, etc...
We've already made some big changes to all our assets, since we started planning this project at the begining of the year. And we still have more improvements on the way before this new asset is released.

One other suggestion that might be usedful is integrating Pixel Crusher's Save/Load System. After just spending the last few days getting a save load system working between DS, UCC and UIS I gotta say that having a full demo of how to do this would be extemely beificial for some users. The Menu Framework from Pixel Crushers does handle most of this but having it set up as premade scenes would be a nice little addition to everything.