Ability Message not displaying?

marmofish

Hi, I've set up the interact ability and am trying to have text display when an object is interactable, like "Press F to interact". I set the message in the ability message text in the inspector under the player's interact abilities, but in the game itself the text is not displaying. Any explanation for this? Thanks! 1593459491699.png

Is the interact definitely being triggered? For example you may need to set up the Object Detection for the interact ability differently. The demo scene has multiple different Interact abilities which are each used for a different object (button, door, etc.), so one of those may have the kind of setup you need that you can copy. Also make sure that you've got matching Interactable IDs on both the interact ability and the Interactable object.

I am unable to reproduce this in the demo scene by creating a fresh GameObject with the Interactable component and a new Interact ability on the player.

Could you share the setups of your Interact ability and the object's Interactable component? Are you able to reproduce this issue within the demo scene?

The Interactable GameObject:
1593598159455.png

The Interact ability:
1593598205485.png

Here are my settings:
Interactable GameObject:
1593641599102.png

Interact ability:
1593641498029.png

Very similar to what you've provided, but maybe it's something small I'm missing? Right now I'm basically just recreating the interactable door from the demo scene

I copied all your values and no problems here.

I see you're using Interact ID 4 - there's already another Interact ability in the demo scene with the same ID, and if that ability is higher up in the ability list it will take priority and depending on the setup of its object detection, layers, etc. it might not be firing in your particular use case. Try using a different unique Interact ID.

Also sorry to ask but do double-check your trigger collider is definitely detecting the player character, and that the correct Interact ability (i.e. the one you created) is being fired when you interact with the object (in the ability list in the inspector, the ability name will append "(Active)").

Also, stupid question, but did you add the UI to the scene? The MessageMonitor is responsible for showing the text.