A* Issue: Using the offmesh link Nodelink thing bops the character back and forth in a bizarre way.

Howdy!

Off-mesh links are a big deal for a game I'm making and while I can get them to (sorta) work with Opsive abilities using navmesh, I'd rather use A* for the extra tools but I've run into a massive issue. Whenever the agent tries to use the link, the collider sorta leaves the model and the data doesn't all really match up and then it runs back and forth? It'd very odd and I've had the issue for like a month.

I'm not sure if it's an A* thing or an Opsive thing or soemthing to do with colldiers or ability priority or what, but I can't start adapting the abilities to work on the links until this is taken care of. Any idea what's going on here and what I can do about it? I'll post on the A* forums as well but given that i only get this glitch on the opsive side i feel like it has somehting to do with how this handles velocity/rootmotion or something.

Also, even if the model falls off the ledge, he'll actually keep bopping back to the start point then sliding over then falling again, stuck in some strange hell-loop.

Lemme know if you want a scene or more info. I've used multple nodelink versions, both the aniamted link and nonaniamted link, ect. They all react the same.
Thanks for any help!

Are you warping the character or is it all driven by the InputVector parameter? I would have expected the character to start to fall in between the gap.

I haven't used links with the A* Pathfinding Project before so the AstarMovementAbility isn't setup for it. The theory should be really similar to the navmesh version though. Did you modify the ability in order to support the links?

I admit to not being sure on the first point, I'm using the default settings that come from a character-manager created ucc character with the astar ability attached, using the default nodelink settings. ANd sometimes they do fall down the gap, but in this case there's enough room that i guess they waddle back.

I also haven't altered any of the ability or nodelink code yet, no. I've held off on it due to it's complications and this issue. I know i would need to for any particular ability to actually work, but i hadn't started because this odd behavior led me to believe that there was something deeper going on and that i should solve this issue before tinkering too much. I assumed that the character would just translate from one point to another without an animation like most things do when they hit a link, and that they very much did not kept me from messing with it much.

I agree that it's likely all very similar at it's core, the nodelinks and the offmesh links, but do you have any recommendations for how to just make the character warp when they hit a link and not really need an ability? If i can get that then at least i can keep working while i figure this out.

You will need to use an ability in this case since without it the controller isn't aware of what A* Pathfinding Project is. I can look at adding support for it in the A* ability similar to the navmesh version, but you'll need to modify the ability in order to support the A* links. If you want to warp the character when they encounter a link you can call UltimateCharacterLocomotion.SetPosition().

Last edited:
That would be fantastic, adding in some out-of-the-box support for them, and yeah i'll look into trying that warping method out. I had held off on messing with the abilities to see A* nodes cuz i figured that getting the AI to Jump wouldn't really matter if they were just going to bounce back and forth anyway, but that might just be my misunderstanding of how abilities and these systems actually work.

And even if you can't get official integration going, maybe some quick "hey here's a common issue with nodes, and generally how to make this work/why this isn't working" guide in the integrations page would be cool.