A battlefield style vehicle seating/weapon controller

Checked out the demo but couldn't figure out the controls to switch seats. Any tips? I sent you a message on discord but I assume you aren't checking it often. Thanks for all your hard work!

Build has been updated, player now stays equipped if entering vehicle and the spare seat being entered should allow. No need to toggle or switch seats again for the bug to die.

Hey FastSkill, I played around a bunch with your demo/pre-alpha and it works great! Here is my feedback/bugs:

Feedback
  • Switching seats and shooting while driving the ATV feels very good/smooth. It feels like UCC out of the box which to me means your code isn't working in that nothing is being changed from the FPS behavior/feel! Great job!
  • In general, I think the Enter/Exit animations should be turned off or at least an option for them to be off/on. I think UCC already has this option but not sure if you have kept that as an option with your changes. The animations in general seem to cause problems when interacting with the vehicle in more complex states (moving, left/right side, etc.) More information below on the specific situations.
  • Is the "field of aim" on the ATV passenger seat editable? If the dev wanted could the passenger face forward to shoot in front? I don't think this is a high priority but as you work on passenger shooting more customization on the freedom of movement/aim will become more important I think.
    • For reference, the prototype I'm working on my design goal is to have the passenger have 360 aiming when leaning out the window and then adjust the animation accordingly. This is kinda complex to write out so if you need more information and a diagram, happy to provide.
"Bugs"
  • Passenger getting into hummer on the driver side with driver already inside plays enter animation and then slides over to the passenger seat. Probably should just skip the animation altogether if a player attempts to enter in a seat/door that already has a player sitting there.
  • Passenger gets stuck in a state when attempting to get into a vehicle as it drives out of range. The passenger's state is continually moving towards the vehicle but can never get in the vehicle unless it stops.
  • On the ATV, the passenger always faces forward when observed from driver/other player perspective (probably animation not implemented yet, but thought I'd mention it just in case it was a bug)

Thanks BrickyT for the testing and feedback. Indeed animations/teleport is optional per seat, will look into getting animation side of things cleaner (like the skip animation for full seat or force the player movetowards to empty seat pos).
Field of Aim is indeed editable per seat, the tank has 360 rotation for example, Will definitely get to one handed/leaning out window side of things after I squash all current bugs.
Move towards state will now cancel ability if vehicle gets too far away, although the player is left unequipped, need to toggle equip to get weapons back.
It'll also attempt to speed up a bit to catch the vehicle (works best in fps view atm)
Passenger rotation should be fixed now, I had pos and rotation twice by accident.
Remote players should now also be correctly positioned when entering a speeding vehicle (teleport was acting up leaving remote in the position sent before packet received)
Note that remote player visuals for shooting on quad are not correct, this will be fixed as I get through other bugs and focus more on the equip and ik system.
Slowly but surely.
Updated build link > https://drive.google.com/file/d/14_ovdsy4bQW3svBMj2A7H2eKg-GW-wPy/view?usp=sharing

Its been a while, so I just wanted to give a little update. I have been tied up a bit with life duties, but still progressing. At this stage I have very little left to do to complete this asset, I will be writing the editor scripts starting tomorrow and hope to have the alpha complete by late next week.

To get this cleared out , you are making like an extension for UCC to be able to sit as passenger and shoot from the vehicle, yes ?

To get this cleared out , you are making like an extension for UCC to be able to sit as passenger and shoot from the vehicle, yes ?
Yes, I have included example in next demo build, which is uploading now super slowly.

Be sure to start in third person view and pickup the pistol (there's a UCC bug with invisible weapons atm).
Also shoot from window IK is only done for third person so far, can shoot in first person but I have not done IK for that and the windscreen gets in the way, side window is ok. I actually want to make a smashwindow ability (like GTA) in the future too.

In the multiplayer demo I forgot to add shoot from left window, but the right side is setup, I forgot to add state to character for left side. There is a bunch of improvements I hope you will all enjoy.

The tank has an example of crosshair usage as defined by an item, can be applied to any vehicle weapons just like a runtime pickup.

Vehicle weapons can affect the vehicle rigidbody to simulate nice tank blasts etc.

Roadkills I have done for offline as a test, I haven't actually tested online yet but give it a go, the quadbike should have the offline component on it if I remember correctly and it should work if it does.

The camera system is much much better than it was, in third person especially.

Each seat can define an override state.

I have pretty much completed the editor scripts also, alpha should be ready to start packaging up in the next couple of days.

Thankyou everyone for your interest.

Looks awesome anyway!
Yes, I have included example in next demo build, which is uploading now super slowly.

Be sure to start in third person view and pickup the pistol (there's a UCC bug with invisible weapons atm).
Also shoot from window IK is only done for third person so far, can shoot in first person but I have not done IK for that and the windscreen gets in the way, side window is ok. I actually want to make a smashwindow ability (like GTA) in the future too.

In the multiplayer demo I forgot to add shoot from left window, but the right side is setup, I forgot to add state to character for left side. There is a bunch of improvements I hope you will all enjoy.

The tank has an example of crosshair usage as defined by an item, can be applied to any vehicle weapons just like a runtime pickup.

Vehicle weapons can affect the vehicle rigidbody to simulate nice tank blasts etc.

Roadkills I have done for offline as a test, I haven't actually tested online yet but give it a go, the quadbike should have the offline component on it if I remember correctly and it should work if it does.

The camera system is much much better than it was, in third person especially.

Each seat can define an override state.

I have pretty much completed the editor scripts also, alpha should be ready to start packaging up in the next couple of days.

Thankyou everyone for your interest.

Amazing! It's like everything I wanted and ment to make but haven't had time for it yet. It's super awesome that we think the same ? will it come as an official unity package for ucc?

Looks awesome anyway!

Amazing! It's like everything I wanted and ment to make but haven't had time for it yet. It's super awesome that we think the same ? will it come as an official unity package for ucc?
Thanks Mattis :) Yes I intend to make it an official unity package for sure, I am currently working on making sure the integration is as smooth as possible when importing for those that have or are only using FPS for example or vice versa.