3rd Person Holstering and Non Dominant Hand IK Targeting Qs

Having a bit of trouble understanding/implementing the above. Using the docs for info: https://opsive.com/support/document...tory/character-item/third-person-perspective/

For holstering, if I understand properly, I want to create some gameobject/transforms located where the holstered items will be positioned on the characters body, right? For example a combat knife, lets attach it to the leg somewhere, so I would create a HolsterKnife GO and locate that where I want it to go (right leg)? If that's correct, where should I put it in the hierarchy? Does it matter?

If that's correct, is the IK targeting kinda-sorta similar? Set some GO/transforms where the left hand actually is and then assign that to the IK Targets? What's the difference between a Target and Target Hint? Based from the docs I need the elbow, but it's not allowing me to drag the elbow in to the hint.

Any tips?

So I don't think I'm right.. tried creating some GOs positioned where I'd want a knife holstered and I can't assign it to the Holster Target.

Very confused.

For holstering, if I understand properly, I want to create some gameobject/transforms located where the holstered items will be positioned on the characters body, right? For example a combat knife, lets attach it to the leg somewhere, so I would create a HolsterKnife GO and locate that where I want it to go (right leg)? If that's correct, where should I put it in the hierarchy? Does it matter?
Yes, that's correct. In the demo scene take a look at the assault rifle holster GameObject - this is where the assault rifle will be placed. IK is not used for this and it's all animation based.

So I don't think I'm right.. tried creating some GOs positioned where I'd want a knife holstered and I can't assign it to the Holster Target.
You will need to use Object Identifiers since the knife is its own prefab:

My hierarchy..

Screenshot 2023-06-05 115133.png

I added an Object Identifier to the knife holster.

Screenshot 2023-06-05 115144.png

And here's the Knife.prefab.. Holster Target id is for the right leg (correct?), but I'm not sure what to do with the transform.

Screenshot 2023-06-05 115251.png

I loaded the demo scene and took screenshots of the assault rifle holster.. other than being a different type of weapon I'm not sure what I'm doing differently.

TY for your help!

GOT IT!

If anyone else has trouble figuring it out..

I put a GameObject "HolsterKnife" on the right leg in the rig where I wanted the weapon to be stored. I then added an Object Identifier component to HolsterKnife and gave it the Knife Spawn Point ID (50023001).

Then I went to my knife prefab and under the existing Third Person Perspective Item component I set the Holster Target to the same 50023001 (left the transform on None, couldn't assign anything to it anyway). Pause, position the HolsterKnife and the transform values, finally paste/add those proper positions when stopped.

Hazzah!

(character is just a stand in, not really going with Pajama Pants)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-05 171713.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-05 171713.png
    929.4 KB · Views: 4
And with a pistol.. definitely got it now.

TY again, and love UCC - if I haven't already I'll make sure to leave 5 stars.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-05 172440.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-05 172440.png
    760.7 KB · Views: 3
For anyone who might find it tedious to set up a weapon/item, to copy the position/rotation settings for the Third Person Perspective, I use an empty Gameobject to hold the values so I can copy/paste them. You don't have to write anything down or try to remember any numbers.

When you stop play, you lose the Third Person settings. The easiest way to copy them, from what I've seen, is to keep an empty Gameobject in your scene. Once you position your weapon/item where you want it, copy the Transform component properties. Then hit stop on Play, which resets the transform settings you just set. Then paste those saved settings on the empty Gameobject transform component. Lock that inspector with the little lock in the upper right corner so you can still see the transform values when you open the weapon/item inspector. Then open a new inspector tab. Open your weapon/item, scroll to the Third Person perspective setup. Copy the position values from the empty Gameobject and paste it on the Third Person position. Then right click on the rotation values on the empty Gameobject and copy Euler Angles and paste that on the rotation value in the Third Person position. It actually only takes a few seconds to do it this way.

Hi. So I have this working with my pistol but when equipping, the object also remains in the holster. How do I remove it once the character equips it and put it back when they dequip?

Ah, so for some reason there are two pistols in the holder. I assume this is something related to the dual pistol item rules. Any idea on how I can prevent this while still supporting dual pistols? I suppose I could have 2 holster but I've only got 1 pistol in my inventory so 2 shouldn't be appearing anyway.