Stop Walking

MGS

Hello. I've just started using BD again (Absolute Beginner) after a long time thinking it was too hard to figure out. I gave it a second chance a few days ago - and made a few Steps of Progress. The following Issues have been a large Problem / Obstacle within my Dream to develop my own FPS-Shooter. I've been avoiding Behavior Trees because of the Problems I've encountered trying to get them to work. But I'm going to give it a second try. So I am asking you for help. If I can resolve the following Problems - it would be a major Breakthrough for me.

I am trying to figure out a reusable BT for FPS Enemies. Basically the idea is an Area with different patrolling guard posts, protecting individual Areas and first warning you and then - if you do not comply - hunting and shooting you down if you step too close. Stuck within this Project it would REALLY Help if you could answer me a few Questions:

- So far, the BT in the Picture manages to "Patrol / See / Follow. Could you take a look at the picture and tell me what I need to add or remove in order to achieve the goal of an "Patrol/See/Follow/Attack/Kill" BT ? It is VERY hard to find helpful Documentation on this Issue. Especially for Beginners like me.

- I'm using a new Animator on the Enemy-AI-Character. It contains only a very simple Blendtree Idle/Walk. I've been using "Set float parameter" (in the Can See Object Sequence) to trigger Walk Animations. But the Motion doesn't seem to stop when it reaches Goal. . I've been using a second "Set Float Parameter" to stop the Motion after the move has been completed, but the character walks off to the Horizon. What would be the correct way to control the start and stop of walk animations ?

- A big issue that I yet have to figure out is how to Deal Damage to the ai and vice versa. After Experiencing how very well made both UCC and BD are - I figure that the ability to receive and deal damage Between BT-AI and UCC-Player is already built into the System/Character Setup ? It would REALLY help me if you could point out to me how I can deal damage vice versa.

Please consider that I am a Beginner to BD when answering. I've been using BD because I have Zero Experience in Coding.

Thank you for helping.

M.

Attachments

• BehaviorScreenshot.png
    BehaviorScreenshot.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 27
Your overall tree structure looks good, though you don't have any of the attacking. For an example tree take a look at the BD/UCC integration video:

This is a pretty complex tree though so I would ensure that you have first gone through all of the existing Behavior Designer videos. You can receive damage events with the OnObjectImpact event: https://opsive.com/support/documentation/ultimate-character-controller/artificial-intelligence/

Thank you for your answer. I've tried to use the recommended Link to the Documentation, but these Explanations are directed towards Coding. Meanwhile it is being advertised that complex Ai can be produced without writing a single line of code. Yet I am unable to find Documentation to support "clueless idiots" like me :) Not to bother you with this - but this seems to be a common issue within the Unity-Community. Non-Coders are invited to make their own games - yet when it comes to documentation - the Pros expect us Amateurs to decypher their Coding.

Last edited:
Hello. I've just started using BD again (Absolute Beginner) after a long time thinking it was too hard to figure out. I gave it a second chance a few days ago - and made a few Steps of Progress. The following Issues have been a large Problem / Obstacle within my Dream to develop my own FPS-Shooter. I've been avoiding Behavior Trees because of the Problems I've encountered trying to get them to work. But I'm going to give it a second try. So I am asking you for help. If I can resolve the following Problems - it would be a major Breakthrough for me.

I am trying to figure out a reusable BT for FPS Enemies. Basically the idea is an Area with different patrolling guard posts, protecting individual Areas and first warning you and then - if you do not comply - hunting and shooting you down if you step too close. Stuck within this Project it would REALLY Help if you could answer me a few Questions:

- So far, the BT in the Picture manages to "Patrol / See / Follow. Could you take a look at the picture and tell me what I need to add or remove in order to achieve the goal of an "Patrol/See/Follow/Attack/Kill" BT ? It is VERY hard to find helpful Documentation on this Issue. Especially for Beginners like me.

- I'm using a new Animator on the Enemy-AI-Character. It contains only a very simple Blendtree Idle/Walk. I've been using "Set float parameter" (in the Can See Object Sequence) to trigger Walk Animations. But the Motion doesn't seem to stop when it reaches Goal. . I've been using a second "Set Float Parameter" to stop the Motion after the move has been completed, but the character walks off to the Horizon. What would be the correct way to control the start and stop of walk animations ?

- A big issue that I yet have to figure out is how to Deal Damage to the ai and vice versa. After Experiencing how very well made both UCC and BD are - I figure that the ability to receive and deal damage Between BT-AI and UCC-Player is already built into the System/Character Setup ? It would REALLY help me if you could point out to me how I can deal damage vice versa.

Please consider that I am a Beginner to BD when answering. I've been using BD because I have Zero Experience in Coding.

Thank you for helping.

M.
After using seek I had to use an idle animation to go on to next so try that. As for damage on the integration they used demo agent which gets the health so if you don't use integration you would still need to code the health or use playmaker.

After using seek I had to use an idle animation to go on to next so try that. As for damage on the integration they used demo agent which gets the health so if you don't use integration you would still need to code the health or use playmaker.
Thank you for your message. Wouldn't consider myself stupid - but in the Case of Game Development I'm in over my head. I did tons of research to find something userfriendly. And it seems I'm the only one who thinks that its time for a "complete solution" to the FPS Problem (Player/ Enemy Interaction", Storytelling ) . If anything, most of the packages out there have rather COMPLICATED than made my life easier. Because they all deliver a piece of the "Pie"- but never the full pie. And when you ask where the Rest of the pie is - it says "you need to code that yourself" or "you need to understand this incredibly difficult system" which is very prone to errors - before you can even start working on some game.

Unity and its GameDev Area that claims that "non-coders can take part" is bascially just saying that instead they have to learn visual scripting. And if you want to achieve anything of value - visual scripting also becomes as difficult as scripting itself. So Visual Scripting is not really an alternative - its just a different way how things can become very complex in a very short time.

I've been looking at Invectors Shooter Template some time Ago and its an interesting concept that goes in the right direction. Yet the only asset that would resolve the ai player interaction Issue is still only the solution to one part of a much bigger problem. Now you can shoot and Fight, but what about other interactions ? Like Dialogue ? Yes you can have your "integrations" - and I'm sure this must have its advantage. But its still kind strange, because in order to produce a character that can walk, talk, interact with this environment and fight when need plus the ai that works with all of that - you spend an incredible time researching - and coming across dozens of dysfunctional situations. The Enemy sinks into the floor and doesn't work even if you update to the latest version etc. Broken assets left and right.

My summary after several Years with Unity: Its not worth the effort. I'm in over my head. Its time to quit.

Best Regards.