Can't seem to walk up or down stairs...

Hey guys,

I've been busy learning how to build a few things and I have been trying to simple walk up and down sets of staircases with some assets I have bought. I have tried a tower which has stairs and I have also tried staircases from an asset pack I bought called Retroframhouse by a dev called Not_Lonely.

Could anyone point me in the direction of what could be wrong. I check different assets from different devs just to make sure it wasn't just the assets but as I can't walk up or down any I'm thinking it's something to do with UCC and a setting I haven't yet found!

Many thanks for any help

Jono

Put a ramped collider on your stairs on a raycast ignoring layer (iirc transparentFX is one such layer). Your capsule will collide with this, whilst your foot ik will use the stair colliders. Most staircase assets are too steep for the UCC max step height = half of collider radius rule. Happy to discuss in the discord if you have difficulties.

Put a ramped collider on your stairs on a raycast ignoring layer (iirc transparentFX is one such layer). Your capsule will collide with this, whilst your foot ik will use the stair colliders. Most staircase assets are too steep for the UCC max step height = half of collider radius rule. Happy to discuss in the discord if you have difficulties.

Interesting. So this is what everybody has to do with all assets that involve steps and stairs? Serves me right for assuming that the colliders in the stairs would be detected by the character controller and then the character would have no problem walking up or down the stairs.

Ok, so I tried using a cube, disabling the mesh renderer of the cube and made sure the box collider is over the stairs and still no joy. So I have taken a screen shot of the colliders that come with the stairs asset in case that may reveal anything that I am doing wrong.

One photo shows one collider selected and the other shows all colliders that came with the stairs

Attachments

• Colliders on stairs.jpg
    Colliders on stairs.jpg
    838.4 KB · Views: 11
  • All colliders on stairs.jpg
    All colliders on stairs.jpg
    795.9 KB · Views: 10
I've just started a new project, Am going to only load in the Farmhouse asset, I will also import UCC (and the adding), then I will import a prefab of Nolan. Then I will see if anything works (just to clarify or iron out any potential problems that maybe cause by my other project. Just trying to figure it out with least amount of variables as possible..

As we've had a few questions recently about stairs, Justin has added a section to this page about it - hopefully it helps, let us know if not:

As we've had a few questions recently about stairs, Justin has added a section to this page about it - hopefully it helps, let us know if not:

Thank you. That’s brilliant. I would never have asked for help on stairs if that was in the manual a few days ago! Excellent!