Height of Short Climb

rsoult3

I have a character about 75% the height of Nolan. When the character climbs the short climb in the demo, her arms and legs end up inside the object she is climbing. However, when I make the object shorter so that it fits where her arms and legs are placed in the animation, she does not climb up, but instead just lifts her leg up a bit, and then back down like she is just thinking about it.
Nolan does the same thing if I bring the object he is meant to climb down a bit.

How do I set the height of an object that can be used in Short Climb?

1667320920603.png

The short climb uses root motion to move the character so it is based on the animations. For this scenario you'll need to use animations that are at the proper height of the object that the character is climbing.

The short climb uses root motion to move the character so it is based on the animations. For this scenario you'll need to use animations that are at the proper height of the object that the character is climbing.

It was not the root motion exactly. It looks like the animator did not know what to do with the height of the object I was trying to climb. Perhaps it did not fit any of the animations? The value it was being fed was 1.189724. This seems to have confused the animation controller.

I fixed it by modifying the height being fed to the controller by a percentage. This way the controller still grabbed the correct animation, but allowed it to be used with smaller (or taller) characters.

The character was 80% of the height expected. Because the animation scales with the character's bones, it was always off.

To get the animation to work right I changed line 72 inside CanStartAbility() to

m_Height = m_Transform.InverseTransformPoint(hit.point).y * this.CharacterHeightMod;

For this character CharacterHeightMod = 1.25f. I can use different values for different characters at different heights to allow them to match up to the animations.

1667576503853.png

What is great is this also fixes the issue I was having with the animation on the smaller steps. Before this she would place her hands inside the block, then her feet would be inside the block, once the animation was finished (and it renabled the collider), her feet would pop on top of the step. Now it works correctly.
1667576840320.png

Perhaps in a future update, you can make your controller friendlier to characters who have different heights than Nolan? Feel free to expand on this change.

Thanks for posting your change - I'll include something like that in the next update :)