Version 2.1 Release

Justin

Administrator
Staff member
This page has information about the 2.1 release:

https://opsive.com/news/ultimate-character-controller-2-1-released/

There are a few things to keep in mind before importing this update:
  • Unity 2017.3 or later is required.
  • Remove the Opsive/UltimateCharacterController folder before importing. This is extremely important because the folder structure has changed for Assembly Definitions support.
  • A reference bone has been added to Nolan’s rig so if you created a prefab with Nolan then you’ll need to recreate the character. This reference bone was added for the upcoming Agility Pack. No changes are required if you are using your own character model.

The list of changes is very exciting. I am downloading now to test it. For some reason I am getting a "Failed - Network error" while I am trying to download for the second time in a row. I am downloading from the Opsive Website. I am trying for the third time to download the file.

Also, I would love to be able to see a version history on the opsive website, similar to the one you can see in the assetstore, if that is at all possible to do.

The list of changes is very exciting. I am downloading now to test it. For some reason I am getting a "Failed - Network error" while I am trying to download for the second time in a row. I am downloading from the Opsive Website. I am trying for the third time to download the file.
Did you get it working? If not try a different browser - the total download size is 445MB for Ultimate Character Controller.

Also, I would love to be able to see a version history on the opsive website, similar to the one you can see in the assetstore, if that is at all possible to do.
For the Asset Store release notes I just point to this page: https://opsive.com/news/category/release-notes/ultimate-character-controller-release-notes/

Thank you. I was able to download it during the third try. I do not know why it was giving errors the first two times. I am importing it into the project now.

Is there a specific scene in the demo where the block, parry, and counterstrike functions can be tested? (sorry if I missed this somewhere in the release notes)

Ok, I have completed import now (I deleted UCC scene before the import) and I first got an error with DIalogue System for Unity integration (UCC Interactable Target Component). I deleted that script and demo launched. As soon as I enter the first room after the rifle pickup I had a flood of compiler errors from input to first person scripts, all sorts of things. I might be doing something wrong. I am using 2018.2.16f1. The errors seem to be popping as soon as I pickup the rifle and the door opens. I can send a few of the errors in case it is relevant. I noticed that for the first time with UCC the entire area is dark. I know that the light must be baked, but I had never done it before, maybe auto-bake was turned on earlier, and not now...

Then I tested my own scene, and it seems to be working fine for now. Except I cannot use Dialogue System for Unity, which is utilized throughout all scenes, so I cannot test most of my original functions. Is DSU supposed to work with current version, or since many functions have been shifted, does it also need an update?

Is there a specific scene in the demo where the block, parry, and counterstrike functions can be tested? (sorry if I missed this somewhere in the release notes)
There is a new AI agent in the melee room.

The errors seem to be popping as soon as I pickup the rifle and the door opens. I can send a few of the errors in case it is relevant.
What is the very first error?

(UCC Interactable Target Component)
I haven't tested the DSU integration but will do so before the release hits the Asset Store.

Ok, I reloaded the game, and apparently I cannot get the same errors that I got first time when I acquired the assault rifle. I am not sure why it worked that way first time, but it seems to be working pretty smoothly now.

I went ahead and tested the new parry and counter attack mechanics. i really like it very much. I can see much richer and viable melee combat with these new features. There really seems to be a trade of blows between both characters whether you are using one hand or two hand melee. It also feels like there are much more choices than blindly hacking at the other character. The counterattack gives a meaningful option as to whether wait for a block and get rewarded or try to attack when the enemy's shield is off. I also liked the new special attack ability using F and LMB. Is that done through the combo system you mentioned earlier in the development thread? I am looking forward to dig deeper into how these systems work and integrate them into my game.

One issue that encountered with the parry is that it appears to lose durability just like the shield. I do not know if there is any desirable game scenario where your sword loses durability to become unable to parry anymore, but it feels much more natural if you could do parry all the time, or if it was used in the demo to feature how an attribute (such as stamina) could be drained by excess usage of parry, or block.

Finally, game does seem to get stuck if you keep playing the melee scene. This seems to be rooted in some underlying mechanics that caused similar bugs in the earlier versions for issues such as changing weapons. It occurs after repeated parry and counter attacks. The character just gets stuck in an attack pose and will not move. It happened several times through several tries of that room.

Overall, I think the melee additions are extremely satisfactory. I will try to change the counter-attack with some custom attack animations that may feel more fluid, but I think the mechanics of the ability is working great. I will also try to use the combo with some other alterations of keys for some different attack types (i.e. down and heavy attack for a cleave animation, etc). I am looking forward to see the agility pack for the options they will bring in to the game.

PS: Is the melee AI using BD? He seems to be working pretty good.

Okay, so I deleted UCC 2.0.8 and imported UCC 2.1. The (mostly virgin, since I use Rewired) Demo scene complained about a script that couldn't be loaded, and trying to add it manually ended up in Unity saying "Unable to add component ResourceRequestAwaiter - the script needs to derive from MonoBehaviour!". WTH is a "ResourceRequestAwaiter"?

I blew out the Script Assemblies cache and the error still returned:
1549354313821.png

1549354535295.png

I've deleted the asmdef files in a bid to attempt to get it working... but I'm still getting the second error above. No idea. Stay tuned...

I also liked the new special attack ability using F and LMB. Is that done through the combo system you mentioned earlier in the development thread?
Yes, that's using the new AbilityStarter class.

One issue that encountered with the parry is that it appears to lose durability just like the shield. I do not know if there is any desirable game scenario where your sword loses durability to become unable to parry anymore, but it feels much more natural if you could do parry all the time, or if it was used in the demo to feature how an attribute (such as stamina) could be drained by excess usage of parry, or block.
That's a good point - I'll remove the durability from the sword. Really the shield should also show some damage when the durability is decreased so you know that it doesn't function any more.. maybe for a future update.

Finally, game does seem to get stuck if you keep playing the melee scene. This seems to be rooted in some underlying mechanics that caused similar bugs in the earlier versions for issues such as changing weapons. It occurs after repeated parry and counter attacks. The character just gets stuck in an attack pose and will not move. It happened several times through several tries of that room.
Hopefully this post will do the trick: https://opsive.com/forum/index.php?threads/version-2-1-web-beta.761/#post-3930

Is the melee AI using BD? He seems to be working pretty good.
No, just a small script which moves the character and randomly attacks. There are some cases when he doesn't attack when he should so I may improve upon it but it's good enough for the demo.

Thanks for the great support and the updates! Is there an ETA for the unity version?
Getting very close :) I think that I have all of the issues ironed out for an Asset Store release, just want to give it a little bit more time to bake since this is such a large update.

I was able to soft-lock myself while successfully parrying the enemy AI with a SI was stuck on the spot and unable to move or change weapon, apart from rotate around. No errors were being emitted either.
Unity_fBYr4OrTgM.png

Also as a side note, do not select "NET Standard 2.0" for the script compatibility API. It causes UCC 2.1 to emit a lot of errors. This should be documented, as sometimes NET Standard 2.0 is recommended for some platforms.

I was able to soft-lock myself while successfully parrying the enemy AI with a SI was stuck on the spot and unable to move or change weapon, apart from rotate around. No errors were being emitted either.
This post fixes that: https://opsive.com/forum/index.php?threads/version-2-1-web-beta.761/#post-3930

Also as a side note, do not select "NET Standard 2.0" for the script compatibility API. It causes UCC 2.1 to emit a lot of errors. This should be documented, as sometimes NET Standard 2.0 is recommended for some platforms.
What errors? .Net Standard 2.0 is the default for Unity 2018.3 and I don't get any errors. I also switched it to .Net 4.x and that worked as well.

Hey Justin,

Do you have an ETA on the DSU integration fix? Or would that be happening on the PixelCrushers side? Since my scenes are heavily involved in that integration this will give me a good idea to see if I should keep prototyping with last version of UCC or can start using 2.1.

Thank you.

Pressing "F" to interact, it moves to the target but the character is not doing anything for a while.
It seems that the ability is stuck in "Move Towards".

I'll appreciate if you can post the fix.

Do you have an ETA on the DSU integration fix?
I just imported the Dialogue System and saw the two errors. If you add the parameter "GameObject character" to the CanInteract and the Interact methods it should fix the compiler errors. I'll upload this version when 2.1 is released on the Asset Store.

Pressing "F" to interact, it moves to the target but the character is not doing anything for a while.
It seems that the ability is stuck in "Move Towards".
Which object are you trying to interact with?

I tried "Open Crate", and "Press Button" in the Interact room. I think the delay comes from the character trying to rotate toward the target but it rotates really slowly.