Opsive Foundation [RPG Framework]

- With Stats and Abilities, do you have them ordered by Types/Categories and with Abilities also by Active/Passive?

yes stats, abilities and attributes are each separated by a section, you can set attribute and vital base value per race then your player or npc class can have an extra bonus, stats are calculated by a formula defined by the user.

skills can have ranks, each rank can provide bonus and access to new abilities, this is basically your lock-picking or blade weapon skill.
abilities can be triggered ( active) or passive. they are defined for players, npc have the abilities directly built into their section.
each of these are ordered in specific section and because i just finished a refactor that only use keys to reference stats, attribute, skill etc.. you can change the order in their database and it will keep the reference and other parts of the editor.

- Your item and inventory system. Will it be saveable-loadable? Currencies? Crafting? Customizable items at Runtime ie. as with most ARPGs will there be things like socketing in items, affixes/prefixes/suffixes, salvaging, upgrading, that sort of a thing?

I have just started to design the feature for this, it will be automatically saved and loaded when a change happen, because this system is not dependent on unity but fully multithreaded its very fast. you can set inventory for each team member or shared between each player of your team. currencies will be defined in an other db, but you can define "currency bundle" as inventory item that when added update your currency, like a drop of 80 gold coins.
for the crafting and salvaging no idea yet.
for runtime customization & upgrading , can you explain what how it would works?
socketing will be possible, simply by adding an equipment slot on an item and only allow an item type that you create for that specific purpose.

- With Stats and Abilities, will it have buffs and debuffs and over-time effects?

yes this is already working nicely

- Classes - multi-classes?

you cannot have more than one class at time on a character loaded, but i have implemented class upgrade, you can set class requirement on each class to upgrade.

- Race and SubRace and that sort of thing?

no sub-race but that would be easy to add an extra meta field and associated bonus

@TinyTree ,

Hi - thanks for such a comprehensive response!

With Items it sounds like you've pretty much covered it - but it would be neat if you could, by way of example use say a [Bronze - default] Longsword as a template in runtime and perhaps create (a previously undefined) Mithril Longsword that could say take 3 socket items (gemstones, orbs etc). Better yet, enchant it with structured (in terms of naming conventions, where words go around the original Item name) prefixes and suffixes ie. say a Holy Elven (both Prefixes) Mithril (also a prefix I suppose) Firery (prefix) Longsword of Smiting (Suffix) and of the North Star (Suffix). So that would be a runtime creation that would hopefully be loaded and saved. Maybe adding socket items would alter the name (prefixes and suffixes) too. All the above might alter the character's or item's attributes/properties/material/hue/colour/size, that sort of thing... And then saveable and loadable. Hope that makes sense. Rather than creating all the potential variations of Longsword in advance, the above would save massive overheads with Assets etc.

With socketing by putting one or a couple of equipment slots on a parent item, presumably there would be rules to 'equip' these when the parent item was equipped and unequip them when the parent item was unequipped? How would they differ (much at all?) from say a glass bottle containing a potion or say a pouch, pack or chest containing other items?

Sorry, more thoughts/questions...

Container items - could you have them in a character inventory, open them up and you kinda get a sub inventory?

Stats and Abilities - how flexible is your system in terms of putting down formula using one or more Stats to calculate other Stats or Ability scores or whatever?

In terms of Abilities and Ability Types/Categories, have you implemented or looked at implementing Skill Tree like UI?

Probably shouldn't ask this but any idea on a first release or a beta release?

Last edited:
if you could by way of example use say a [Bronze - default] Longsword as a template in runtime and perhaps create (a previously undefined) Mithril Longsword that could say take 3 socket items (gemstones, orbs etc). Better yet, enchant it with structured (in terms of naming conventions, where words go around the original Item name) prefixes and suffixes ie. say a Holy Elven (both Prefixes) Mithril (also a prefix I suppose) Firery (prefix) Longsword of Smiting (Suffix) and of the North Star (Suffix). So that would be a runtime creation that would hopefully be loaded and saved.

I see a problem with that, you start with bronze sword and end up with Elven/firefly/holy sword. how do you deal with different stats, models etc? its hard to generate this as you wish. one simple solution would be to create in the editor this specific variation and have a separate weapon upgrade system where the rules can be defined here.

Maybe adding socket items would alter the name (prefixes and suffixes) too. All the above might alter the character's or item's attributes/properties/material/hue/colour/size, that sort of thing... And then saveable and loadable. Hope that makes sense. Rather than creating all the potential variations of Longsword in advance, the above would save massive overheads with Assets etc.

i didnt read this part before my first answer. but they way you described would be simply to save the generated data in format the localized name with those attributes. this is massive works and having premade asset variation would not be a big overhead on memory, it is just meta. so the question is how do you upgrade your weapon in the game?

With socketing by putting one or a couple of equipment slots on a parent item, presumably there would be rules to 'equip' these when the parent item was equipped and unequip them when the parent item was unequipped? How would they differ (much at all?) from say a glass bottle containing a potion or say a pouch, pack or chest containing other items?

i think the gem is the equip able item and the slot on the armor would be socket type equipment slot, not a container.

Container items - could you have them in a character inventory, open them up and you kinda get a sub inventory?

so a player inventory will be split in bags (container) can be shared for each character of your team.

Stats and Abilities - how flexible is your system in terms of putting down formula using one or more Stats to calculate other Stats or Ability scores or whatever?

for now it require to extend "CharacterCalculation" class scriptable object, here is an example how it works for the player

you could basically do that:

public override float GetBlockPower()
{
return _character.Stats.Attributes["Strength"].MaximumValue;
}

i plan to create a version that use the visual scripting in preview.

In terms of Abilities and Ability Types/Categories, have you implemented or looked at implementing Skill Tree like UI?

for now characters can have starting skills, abilities, and learn new one if their "condition" is met. they can also unlock abilities from skills ranks, like magic rank 10 give you spell fireball then it require extra implementation that i plan to do later, like trainer system, skill tree system, use consumable items to learn them.

i think you missed the link but thats already accessible on github, you can download the project, its not even beta, but mostly alpha, you can try it and give me feedback if you want. im building a mobile game using it and when the game is released i will start beta

WOW @TinyTree, I am glad I came to look today. Looking really good.
I am only wanting this and will wait till it comes out.

One question / idea .. would this be possible to use with a VR addon ? even if not,
still am looking so forward to when you come out with this on Unity store.

it is easy to integrate any controller to it, but i cant make vr integration, i dont have one myself.

I was thinking if it would work with the add-on for Opsive Addon, Bit I kind of figured to ask. Even tho I have not used my
rift for a long time... I am thinking of Oculas Quest ... Maybe this winter ..

Really tho, I also wanted to say thank you for your kindness to put it on Git-hub, for people to try.

All this makes it more sure this will be a huge hit when you can realease it on the store.
AM glad to see you have time again for this and all is going well.

hello, i dont have lot of time to work on it right now, but i am rewriting some part like the instantiation of character witch use soft caching for open world. it wont use opsive inventory system, it has its own system, its only using the character controller.

@TinyTree,

I saw that you have made a lot of changes to the Rpgstation, on GitHub. It is very great to see you working on this
again. I saw all the changes and updates, look very cool, and I am very excited it is coming along again. :)

Last edited:

i think you missed the link but thats already accessible on github, you can download the project, its not even beta, but mostly alpha, you can try it and give me feedback if you want. im building a mobile game using it and when the game is released i will start beta

What is the name of your game? I'll keep an eye out for it.